S220 Bobcat

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Joe X

works if there is Hydraulic fluid in Black plastic reservoir, is there a pump that takes it out of the metal lower tank and put it back into the black plastic reservoir with the fill cap? Forgive me I am new at this.

FJRDarksider

Not being familiar with the 220, I believe you are referring to the chain case (metal lower tank) that runs the length of the unit. Separate system from the hydrostatic pump. This pump recirculates the fluid back to the reservoir tank. The chain case oil just sits there as a "bath" for the drive chains.....unless you have a leak in the drive motors that is then pushing hydraulic fluid into the chain case.

brdgbldr

works if there is Hydraulic fluid in Black plastic reservoir, is there a pump that takes it out of the metal lower tank and put it back into the black plastic reservoir with the fill cap? Forgive me I am new at this.
No.
The lower "tank" is the chain case. This is a lubrication bath for your chains and axle bearings.

You do not want to use this fluid in the hydraulic reservoir. It could have contaminants in it like water and metal filings.

OP
OP
J

Joe X

How do I determine the which drive motor is leaking the fluid into the chain case? It does drift to the right when I add fluid to move it.

brdgbldr

How do I determine the which drive motor is leaking the fluid into the chain case? It does drift to the right when I add fluid to move it.
I don't think there is any way to determine which one is leaking.

I would recommend replacing both anyway. They are most likely the same age and both could be leaking.