s205 axle bearings

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

JOK

Hi guys, Anyone replaced their bearings without using the special Bobcat tools? Cheers James

Tazza

Staff member
The hardest part is installing the bearing cups. I used a length of rod to knock the old ones out i then machined up a jig to use a porta-power to pull the new ones in to place.

OP
OP
J

JOK

The hardest part is installing the bearing cups. I used a length of rod to knock the old ones out i then machined up a jig to use a porta-power to pull the new ones in to place.
Thanks for that Tazza. Did you use the porta to remove as well? The book shows them using one to press the axles out, then a puller and drift to remove/refit cups. Funny. your probably the closest person to me on the forum. James

antfarmer2

Thanks for that Tazza. Did you use the porta to remove as well? The book shows them using one to press the axles out, then a puller and drift to remove/refit cups. Funny. your probably the closest person to me on the forum. James
Just use a couple bottle jacks to pull the axles,out then knock the races out with a big piece of steel pipe and a BFH the outside races tap right in the inside ones will teach you a few new words

Tazza

Staff member
Just use a couple bottle jacks to pull the axles,out then knock the races out with a big piece of steel pipe and a BFH the outside races tap right in the inside ones will teach you a few new words
That is pretty much what i did.
You may want to remove the hub from the axle while still on the machine. Loosen the axle bolt, get two bottle jacks, pump side down, sit them either side of the hub, pump them up and hit the bolt with a hammer, do not remove the bolt as it prvents the hub flying off. If it does not pop off with those hits, you may need to hit the back of the hub, keep the bolt in, just loosened.
With the hub cracked, remove the bolt inside the chain case, use a bottle jack behind the hub to pull the axle/seal out. There isn't a lot of pressure needed here, so a single jack is all you need,just keep the pump part facing down or else you won't be pumping oil, you will get air.
A long bar is good to knock the bearing cups out of the axles, slide it and smack it into the back of the cup. Do top and bottom or they will jamb up.

OP
OP
J

JOK

That is pretty much what i did.
You may want to remove the hub from the axle while still on the machine. Loosen the axle bolt, get two bottle jacks, pump side down, sit them either side of the hub, pump them up and hit the bolt with a hammer, do not remove the bolt as it prvents the hub flying off. If it does not pop off with those hits, you may need to hit the back of the hub, keep the bolt in, just loosened.
With the hub cracked, remove the bolt inside the chain case, use a bottle jack behind the hub to pull the axle/seal out. There isn't a lot of pressure needed here, so a single jack is all you need,just keep the pump part facing down or else you won't be pumping oil, you will get air.
A long bar is good to knock the bearing cups out of the axles, slide it and smack it into the back of the cup. Do top and bottom or they will jamb up.
Thanks guys. Just finished slapping myself for not thinking of that. The BFH is one of my favourite tools. Thanks again.