S185 wiring problems

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

fwjames

Rats built a condominium in my S185 this past spring as it sat idle for a couple of months. I removed their mess and fixed all the exposed and chewed thru wires I could find. I am left with three issues and need advice or a wiring diagram to solve. 1) Glow plugs cycle the full 29seconds on every start, even on 100 deg days after running the machine for an hour. 2) Fan kicks on at start-up, at all temps 3) Code M0721 for hydraulic oil temp out of range is present and battery disconnects will not clear it. I suspect these may be somewhat related and only one or two wires are still not making connection. The machine has a cab with heating and air conditioning. Thanks for your help. Frank

Tazza

Staff member
I thnk you missed a chewed up wire, it sounds like it's your engine temperature sender wires that were hit, as if it thinks the motor is cold, it will cycle the plugs even when it's not.

OP
OP
F

fwjames

I thnk you missed a chewed up wire, it sounds like it's your engine temperature sender wires that were hit, as if it thinks the motor is cold, it will cycle the plugs even when it's not.
Thank you for the response. Does open circuit on engine temp sensor indicate cold day? It would make sense for it to be mech'd that way. But why would the fan run at startup on a cold day? AC is not turned on and engine temp gage reads normal. I believe it could be more than one wire since the hydraulic temp out of range shouldn't be related to engine temp. Can you point me to a wiring diagram? Thanks for your help.

JimN

Thank you for the response. Does open circuit on engine temp sensor indicate cold day? It would make sense for it to be mech'd that way. But why would the fan run at startup on a cold day? AC is not turned on and engine temp gage reads normal. I believe it could be more than one wire since the hydraulic temp out of range shouldn't be related to engine temp. Can you point me to a wiring diagram? Thanks for your help.
There is a service manuals post in the skid steer forum that has several links to pdf downloads. I found mine pretty cheap here, https://youfixthis.com/product-category/bobcat/page/4, make sure you have the right S/N version. Regards, Jim.

Tazza

Staff member
There is a service manuals post in the skid steer forum that has several links to pdf downloads. I found mine pretty cheap here, https://youfixthis.com/product-category/bobcat/page/4, make sure you have the right S/N version. Regards, Jim.
That is possible, if both senders aren't talking to the computer it may be thinking worst case, so it treats both systems at their extreme. Even if it was a sommon wire between the two that was bad.