S185 opinions

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

jackler

Good day, First post, and I hope it is in the correct location? Anyway, I have been looking at purchasing a used skid steer for awhile, and unlike many purchases I make I am not familiar with these machines very much. What I am looking for the machine to do is plow/stack snow, and work around my hobby/hunting land. I will tell you a little about each of these. I own a commercial parking lot, it is 5 acres with equipment parked around the perimeter of the lot. So, my plowing always entails plowing from the outside towards the middle, I also have a 9' plow on my truck for the bulk of the work, the bobcat would be mainly used for stacking and cleaning up smaller areas. I also own 2 parcels of hunting land, and would like to ability to do different things out there, grading, brush cutting, light excavating, tilling, etc.. Again, I have very little experience with skid steers but I do know that I would like hand controls instead of foot controls. As I am sure my learning curve will exist, I am positive that my knees will not love foot controls. I would like a 2 speed machine, heat and AC cab, and a quick connect attachment system. I have talked with a lot of skid steer operators and gotten a lot of feedback and I think I have it narrowed down to an older S185 or the newer S550. So I guess what I am looking for is feedback on whether this seems like a good machine for my needs, or am I way off base. I know there are a lot of "what skid steer should I buy" or "who makes the best skid steer" questions, and this is another of them (hopefully with a little more info) so any input is appreciated. My budget is around 15-17K for a used machine. Thanks

Tazza

Staff member
If you are looking for a hand control machine, i'd lean towards the S550 as it's newer than the S185. Hand controls are costly to repair if they fail, i'd like to think the S550 has any old issues fixed. The only other concern i have with teh S550 is, does it have a DPF? if it does, you have to be careful to do a burn to keep the DPF clean, not sure how it's dine, but when they go bad, they are very costly to repair or replace.