S185 Lock Solenoid Pin can't quite pull up

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

EppicIndustries

Hey guys. New to the forum. I've gotten lots of great info from the site that has helped me out so far. I'm a red seal automotive tech (licensed mechanic in Canada) just so you know I'm not joe blow trying to figure out how electricity works. I'm having an issue with the trac lock solenoid. I replaced the old one as the top had popped off. I also ended up hotwiring this new one to bypass some internal faults with the ecm/bics whatever you want to call it. (customer didn't want to pay for a new one. I don't blame him) My problem I am having now is no longer a wiring issue. That's confirmed to be working as it should. It's a space issue. With the solenoid out of the machine completely and bench testing it, It does work as it should BUT i have to put pin in pretty far for it to pull it in. The hold circuit is fine and works great. It seems like the pull circuit doesn't have enough juice to pull the pin up when it's installed. I feel like this is weird very uncommon problem. Possible the new solenoid is no good? It worked the 1st couple times i had it installed. now it does nothing. Is there an adjustment on that bottom plate where the pin rests to adjust height? It feels like it just floats there and gravity is your adjustment. Looking forward to what you fine gents have to offer for advice.

Tazza

Staff member
I don't believe there is any adjustment, the coil is pretty powerful, i'd have thought it would pull back just fine.
One thing i'd try is to jump the pull coil. If the fuse holder or relay is corroded, it may not be applying enough current to give it a good pull so the hold coil can take over? A jump wire from the battery to the coil would tell you for sure.
I guess it is always possible the new coil is bad, but i think they either work or don't, there is no in between.

OP
OP
E

EppicIndustries

I don't believe there is any adjustment, the coil is pretty powerful, i'd have thought it would pull back just fine.
One thing i'd try is to jump the pull coil. If the fuse holder or relay is corroded, it may not be applying enough current to give it a good pull so the hold coil can take over? A jump wire from the battery to the coil would tell you for sure.
I guess it is always possible the new coil is bad, but i think they either work or don't, there is no in between.
bypassed the entire factory wiring and made my own harness. I ended up being my push button switch being too small not allowing enough ooomph through. put a heavy duty push start button in and she's working great now.

Tazza

Staff member
bypassed the entire factory wiring and made my own harness. I ended up being my push button switch being too small not allowing enough ooomph through. put a heavy duty push start button in and she's working great now.
Glad it was something simple