S185 lift cylinder removal and repair

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

jjwelly

Hello all: I've been unsuccessful with finding clear information on how to remove a lift cylinder from my S185. I have the repair manual, but it leaves me with questions that I'm not comfortable to start until answered. I also can not find any youtube or other informative help. I know my left lift cylinder is leaking at the top, and I even see broken parts of the plastic seal. The repair manual says to have the bucket all the way down, then to disconnect hoses from the cylinder and plug the hose to prevent fluid loss. I can't even find out what the threading is to go and buy some plugs/caps, that's problem #1. Next it says to remove both pins from the lift arms, then 'roll the lift arm link back". I don't know why or what this is saying to do. I'm thinking somehow I have to do this in order for the top lift cylinder pin to be removed or have clearance to be removed, as it appears that the top pin will not push out due to the pin being stopped/blocked by the machine, problem #2. The service manual pictures are terrible for someone who doesn't know what they are looking at, so I'm at a real loss as to how to successfully remove the cylinder from the machine. If anyone can shed light on any of this for me, I'd greatly appreciate it! I'm quite handy with tools and repairs, just never worked on a skidsteer so this is all new to me. Thanks in advance!

jsenicka

The connectors are #6 JIC. The upper pins come out from the outside. They have a internal thread for you to run in a bolt and pull them with a slide hammer. You should then be able to move the cylinder back a bit and pull from the top.

OP
OP
J

jjwelly

The connectors are #6 JIC. The upper pins come out from the outside. They have a internal thread for you to run in a bolt and pull them with a slide hammer. You should then be able to move the cylinder back a bit and pull from the top.
Thank you very much. From what I've been told by the dealer, when they repair lift cylinders, they simply raise the bucket high enough to install the support bracket to release the pressure, then pull only the top pin out of the cylinder. They then unthread the top of the cylinder and pull out the top portion of the cylinder, leaving the bottom still attached. This way they don't have to remove any fluid lines at all, and only pull 1 pin. But I cannot lift the arms up high enough to put in the support bracket, as I have to do this repair inside my garage, which doesn't have high enough ceilings, not to mention I cannot get my bucket off no matter what I try. I am thinking about resting the bucket on a mobile jobsite toolbox that is about 3' high, hopefully giving me enough clearance to pull out the cylinder.

gmail

Thank you very much. From what I've been told by the dealer, when they repair lift cylinders, they simply raise the bucket high enough to install the support bracket to release the pressure, then pull only the top pin out of the cylinder. They then unthread the top of the cylinder and pull out the top portion of the cylinder, leaving the bottom still attached. This way they don't have to remove any fluid lines at all, and only pull 1 pin. But I cannot lift the arms up high enough to put in the support bracket, as I have to do this repair inside my garage, which doesn't have high enough ceilings, not to mention I cannot get my bucket off no matter what I try. I am thinking about resting the bucket on a mobile jobsite toolbox that is about 3' high, hopefully giving me enough clearance to pull out the cylinder.

MattGunson

This can be done assuming that the barrel doesn't have any internal damage. I'd be removing the whole ram assembly then strip down on a bench. Gives you chance to clean any broken seal material out of the barrel and prevent further issues. Sounds like it is just the wiper seal breaking up but I'd replace the job lot whilst you are there. Capping the lines the prevent dirt ingress can be done with caps or any other method that prevents them getting dirt inside. No point over complicating the job. Make sure you clean the machine down first and then start work. I personally would have the boom raised and supported in a way the makes the ram accessible. Most importantly work safely don't go under anything unsupported.

jloven14

I did both sides on my s185 this summer. On the right side I lifted the boom to max height and took my tractor with forks and supported the boom to lift it a little more after I removed the top pin. I took the cap off the cylinder and rebuilt it in about 30 minutes. There is a YouTube video that shows how to do this and if you can get the cap loose, this is definitely the way to go.
On the left side I wasn't so lucky. Of course I tried the same approach but I could not get the cap to turn. I ended up ruining the cap and still could break it loose so I decided to drop the boom to the ground and remove the cylinder. Top pin was no problem to get out but the bottom pin, that was a bit…. There is room to thankfully drive it out to the inside if you remove the battery. I beat, heated, beat, heat,…. Never could get the pin out. Finally took the machine to a local shop and they got it out for me. Lots of heat and pounding with big hammers. If you can loosen the top cap on the cylinder, by far the better way to go in my opinion. YouTube "bobcat lift cylinder repair" and I think you will find the video.

Jim A

I posted a s175 you tube on end cap removal.
I actually ground cut aluminum cap with carbide die grinder to split it in tube into two half s.
Bought a new head cap with seals.

Same for bucket pistons aluminum caps frozen on no force could spin it off.