S185 lift arm drift

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

DaHendo

Hi Fellas, New to the forum and in need of some help. I've got a 2004 S185 that I picked up used, got a bit of a deal because the loader arm drifts, only while hydraulics are active. I though easy fix, wil be a seal in the spool valve. Well I pulled the block out, checked every seal on that thing, replaced the spool seals just to be safe and the damn thing still drifts. I'm thinking it can't be the cylinders otherwise it would continue to drift with the machine off or Hydraulics locked out. I don't think it's linkage or actuator calibration because you can hear fluid passing if trying to hold the loader arm steady. Is there some component to a bobcat that I'm missing? Or did I miss something in the control valve block? I sure hope I don't have to dive back into that thing, what a pain to get in/out.

OP
OP
D

DaHendo

Am I correct in assuming it can't be the manual lowering valve because it's stop dropping with the hydraulics locked out? It's got to be something in the control valve right? It drops fast, from fully raised to bottomed out in about 30 seconds.

Tazza

Staff member
Am I correct in assuming it can't be the manual lowering valve because it's stop dropping with the hydraulics locked out? It's got to be something in the control valve right? It drops fast, from fully raised to bottomed out in about 30 seconds.
So, you can hear the fluid by-passing?
Load checks in the control block can allow lift arms to lower, but that is really fast.
I guess it's possible the issue is in the lift arm lower valve, especially when you said you can hear fluid by-passing

OP
OP
D

DaHendo

So, you can hear the fluid by-passing?
Load checks in the control block can allow lift arms to lower, but that is really fast.
I guess it's possible the issue is in the lift arm lower valve, especially when you said you can hear fluid by-passing
If controls are in neutral I can't hear fluid passing even though the loader arm is dropping, when I try to hold the loader arm steady with the joystick I can hear fluid passing. I gave up today and took it to the dealer. Will update when they sort it out.

Tazza

Staff member
If controls are in neutral I can't hear fluid passing even though the loader arm is dropping, when I try to hold the loader arm steady with the joystick I can hear fluid passing. I gave up today and took it to the dealer. Will update when they sort it out.
Ah, hand controls, possibly an actuator is out of neutral or faulty.
Hopefully it's an easy fix for the dealer.

OP
OP
D

DaHendo

Ah, hand controls, possibly an actuator is out of neutral or faulty.
Hopefully it's an easy fix for the dealer.
Well the dealer says the control valve is screwed. Apparently they found scoring in the lift spool bore. Either that or they also can't figure it out and are taking the replace everything route. They can't locate a new control valve, I've found a used manual controls valve (SN; 6818039) but I need a ACS valve (SN; 7101354) From what I can see in the pictures, it appears to be the same block with some different fittings and spool ends. Does anyone know if it is the same block and if the spools are the same so I could part out the two of them and make 1 that works for me? Pretty sure the previous owner knew what was going on and I'm a sucker!

Tazza

Staff member
Well the dealer says the control valve is screwed. Apparently they found scoring in the lift spool bore. Either that or they also can't figure it out and are taking the replace everything route. They can't locate a new control valve, I've found a used manual controls valve (SN; 6818039) but I need a ACS valve (SN; 7101354) From what I can see in the pictures, it appears to be the same block with some different fittings and spool ends. Does anyone know if it is the same block and if the spools are the same so I could part out the two of them and make 1 that works for me? Pretty sure the previous owner knew what was going on and I'm a sucker!
Sadly, i can't tell you if it will fit or not.
Even with scoring on the valve bidy or spools, i find it hard to see the arms falling so fast, think of the quantity of fluid that is needed to go from one side of the cylinder to the other to make it move, then think of how deep the scores in the valve must be to allow this much to flow. I sorta call BS on that diagnosis, but without seeing it, i can't say for sure.
Even internal cracks in the housing, it would have to be huge to allow it to move this much. I'd like to see the scores first hand, get them to show you the damage and then if they are only shallow, ask how it could possibly allow say 3-5 litres of fluid to pass through it in a matter of a minute to allow two fully extended cylinders to drop so fast.
It does start to look like they knew there was an issue, and just moving it along the line to you :(

OP
OP
D

DaHendo

Sadly, i can't tell you if it will fit or not.
Even with scoring on the valve bidy or spools, i find it hard to see the arms falling so fast, think of the quantity of fluid that is needed to go from one side of the cylinder to the other to make it move, then think of how deep the scores in the valve must be to allow this much to flow. I sorta call BS on that diagnosis, but without seeing it, i can't say for sure.
Even internal cracks in the housing, it would have to be huge to allow it to move this much. I'd like to see the scores first hand, get them to show you the damage and then if they are only shallow, ask how it could possibly allow say 3-5 litres of fluid to pass through it in a matter of a minute to allow two fully extended cylinders to drop so fast.
It does start to look like they knew there was an issue, and just moving it along the line to you :(
I agree, it seems that there is too much fluid passing to be scoring. Will quiz them on it and see what they say. Even though I don't think replacing the block will fix it, I'm slightly inclined to get them to replace it. It would eliminate a suspect area and if it didn't fix it I sure as hell wouldn't pay for the block. We'll see what their cost estimate is if they ever find a new valve body. At the rate of drop I thought for sure it was a valve stuck open or something.

Tazza

Staff member
I agree, it seems that there is too much fluid passing to be scoring. Will quiz them on it and see what they say. Even though I don't think replacing the block will fix it, I'm slightly inclined to get them to replace it. It would eliminate a suspect area and if it didn't fix it I sure as hell wouldn't pay for the block. We'll see what their cost estimate is if they ever find a new valve body. At the rate of drop I thought for sure it was a valve stuck open or something.
I'm with you, if the load checks are stuck open or something, i can see it by-passing enough fluid to drop that fast, but sureley the dealer would check this? But if not, they may just say it's the valve, change it out as technically it is the valve, but a pert that bolts to it that you will get with a new valve.

OP
OP
D

DaHendo

I'm with you, if the load checks are stuck open or something, i can see it by-passing enough fluid to drop that fast, but sureley the dealer would check this? But if not, they may just say it's the valve, change it out as technically it is the valve, but a pert that bolts to it that you will get with a new valve.
Well I got the call from the dealer that it's finally done. Over a month, mostly waiting on parts. They changed the valve block and re-used all the components they could. They say after that it developed a new issue where they could only get 6 inches or so of travel on lift and tilt. Replaced PN# 6685157 and everything is fine. All I can find is that it's a valve but doesn't specify which one. I didn't get a chance to look at the control valve before they sent it in for core refund but I am suspicious that it was useable and 6685157 was the failure. Dealer insists differently though. Thanks for your help, hopefully this thread will point someone in the right direction some day.

Tazza

Staff member
Well I got the call from the dealer that it's finally done. Over a month, mostly waiting on parts. They changed the valve block and re-used all the components they could. They say after that it developed a new issue where they could only get 6 inches or so of travel on lift and tilt. Replaced PN# 6685157 and everything is fine. All I can find is that it's a valve but doesn't specify which one. I didn't get a chance to look at the control valve before they sent it in for core refund but I am suspicious that it was useable and 6685157 was the failure. Dealer insists differently though. Thanks for your help, hopefully this thread will point someone in the right direction some day.
Glad it's fixed, never knew they re-conditioned the valves... If there was a core charge, they must re-condition them.