S175 Hydraulic Pump temp/wear when on Fast-V-Slow

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Phil2

Is there any difference in the hydraulic pump temperatures-service life when the pump is set at the fast vrs. the slow speed setting? thanks

Bobcatdan

I don't know what you are talking about, engine speed? I don't know of any speed settings. As long as the cooling system is working, there is very few problems with hydraulic temp and pump life is execellent with rock bottom failure rate. The only thing I can think of is the rabbit turtle button on the left stick, that is for two speed. All machines have the button even if the unit don't have two speed, then the bottom does nothing.

OP
OP
P

Phil2

I don't know what you are talking about, engine speed? I don't know of any speed settings. As long as the cooling system is working, there is very few problems with hydraulic temp and pump life is execellent with rock bottom failure rate. The only thing I can think of is the rabbit turtle button on the left stick, that is for two speed. All machines have the button even if the unit don't have two speed, then the bottom does nothing.
I'm referring to the two speed travel option "Two-Speed: Boost top travel speed by as much as 57 percent and reduce the time it takes to travel across a jobsite or between jobs."

Tazza

Staff member
I'm referring to the two speed travel option "Two-Speed: Boost top travel speed by as much as 57 percent and reduce the time it takes to travel across a jobsite or between jobs."
From what i was told, moving around in high speed is fine, but it's not meant to be used to dig or push, this will put extra load on it causing it to possibly fail.

Bobcatdan

From what i was told, moving around in high speed is fine, but it's not meant to be used to dig or push, this will put extra load on it causing it to possibly fail.
The way 2 speed works, the motor has an 8 piston rotating group. When shifted to 2 speed, oil only goes to 4 pistons. Same oilflow goes across smaller surface, hence goes faster. Nothing changes at the pumps at all. That is why in 2 speed, you don't have the power, the motor is has reduced surface area and can't built as high of pressure. You could run it all day in 2 speed and you won't hurt anything. Guys plow snow in 2 speed all the time and have no problems.

Tazza

Staff member
The way 2 speed works, the motor has an 8 piston rotating group. When shifted to 2 speed, oil only goes to 4 pistons. Same oilflow goes across smaller surface, hence goes faster. Nothing changes at the pumps at all. That is why in 2 speed, you don't have the power, the motor is has reduced surface area and can't built as high of pressure. You could run it all day in 2 speed and you won't hurt anything. Guys plow snow in 2 speed all the time and have no problems.
I never knew that was the case, good to know. Even better that its pretty well fool proof.