Rusting Out Chain Case

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Clodhopper

I've got an 873 that I bought last fall. This morning I noticed a new leak, and upon investigation realized that it is oil from the chain case leaking out of a small hole in the underside. There are also a couple of wet spots that I'm sure will start leaking soon. Is there a good way to repair these spots or any other good solutions to this problem. Thanks for any advice.

Bobcatdan

Never saw one rust threw. I would think it can be patched. Big thing is the chaincase will need to be completely drain. With welding the big challenge will welding the patch without oil leaching into the weld.

GTA

This may be a good opportunity to recommend a little rust protection on these machines, especially those used in snow and salt. I liberally coated the bottom of mine with a product called Fluid Film. It requires no prep work and sprays on like a very light grease. I also removed the front and side access panel covers and coated it on the inside. Works great and gives some piece of mind between washes..

shawn macananny

I have successfully welded a forklift cylinder still on machine filled with oil with flowing oil from the crack with flux core wire (not MIG). Its been 4 years on a reach truck and never leaked. I wire wheeled it, preheated the area so the oil was flashing off, and then welded it over a few times. Then once it cooled i covered the weld with JB weld for extra strenth. It's on a triple cylinder reach truck thats used every day. I am sure there is a much bigger risk for fire in a chain case though.