Root grapple size and weight for a 743

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

mahans7

I'm hoping to get a root grapple after the holidays. It would've been perfect for the land clearing job we just did and save a lot of time and effort. My question is, the 743 is 55 inches wide, would a 60" wide grapple be adequate?

The 743 lift ROC is 1300 lbs. and the grapple weight ranges from 387 lbs. with 3/16" tines to 900 lbs. with 1/2" tines. I was thinking more in the 500-600 lb. range(3/8" tines) so that I would have plenty of lift capacity. Thoughts?

Finally, is it worth getting the 2 claw version (for uneven loads) or is the 1 claw version adequate? Appreciate all opinions.

[email protected]

i dont think 743 can use a dual claw, it only has one hydraulic control, in and out. i don't think you could switch between the two. newer bobcats have a 3rd connection that allows electronic control

jerry

i dont think 743 can use a dual claw, it only has one hydraulic control, in and out. i don't think you could switch between the two. newer bobcats have a 3rd connection that allows electronic control
The dual ones I have seen operate off one hyd line , when you grab a uneven load the pressure is equalized between the cylinders so one may be extended more than the other but they are gripping with the same force. I think you would tend to twist the grapple claw on a uneven load with just one cylinder. just a opinion though.

SkidRoe

Jerry is right, you only need one connection. As far as the two versus one debate goes, depends on your budget and what you are going to be using it for. No doubt, performance wise, two is better than one (and one is far better that none!!). We have grapples for both of our machines and they are both the single arm variety. You can sometimes see some flex, but they seem to be built to take it.

jerry

Jerry is right, you only need one connection. As far as the two versus one debate goes, depends on your budget and what you are going to be using it for. No doubt, performance wise, two is better than one (and one is far better that none!!). We have grapples for both of our machines and they are both the single arm variety. You can sometimes see some flex, but they seem to be built to take it.
That's good to know Skidroe because there is a big difference in price, do yours have solid bottoms or are they grated so dirt falls through. I could sure use one now and then myself. For just general use would you think a grapple for 1500 or a 4in1 bucket for 2500 work better? I see a bobcat 4in 1 on craigs list for 2500.

SkidRoe

That's good to know Skidroe because there is a big difference in price, do yours have solid bottoms or are they grated so dirt falls through. I could sure use one now and then myself. For just general use would you think a grapple for 1500 or a 4in1 bucket for 2500 work better? I see a bobcat 4in 1 on craigs list for 2500.
The one for the 773 has no lower floor, just 32" tines. We use it for logs, round bales, manure, etc. Works great, but it is heavy.
The one I built for the 440B is like a rock bucket, it has 1/4" plate on edge for the bottom, with a cutting edge at the front. Here is a link:
http://www.skidsteerforum.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=54&frmView=ShowPost&PostID=46363
Here is a picture of both in action this past summer, pulling concrete slabs away from my pool:
Moving%20Slabs%20crop.JPG

SkidRoe

BTW - The tine grapple was built by HLA, here in Canada:
http://hlaattachments.com/
I can't remember exactly what was paid for it; it was around $2000 new.
As far as grapple vs. 4-in-1 goes, I have never used a 4-in-1. I can't see them being completely equal, though they might be closer than I know. I use my grapple for scooping up brush and logs, as well as skiming sod. I like having the sides of the bucket open. I have handled quite a few rolls of chain link fence with it too, works great for that, does no damage to the fence fabric.
Maybe you need both.... :)

Mikefromcny

BTW - The tine grapple was built by HLA, here in Canada:
http://hlaattachments.com/
I can't remember exactly what was paid for it; it was around $2000 new.
As far as grapple vs. 4-in-1 goes, I have never used a 4-in-1. I can't see them being completely equal, though they might be closer than I know. I use my grapple for scooping up brush and logs, as well as skiming sod. I like having the sides of the bucket open. I have handled quite a few rolls of chain link fence with it too, works great for that, does no damage to the fence fabric.
Maybe you need both.... :)
If you plan to use it for brush and handling wood, definetly get a one with open tines for the bottom with independent grapples. Clam buckets (4 n 1) are good, but are somewhat limited. Dont get anything built super heavy or wider then 60" for a 743. I bought a 74" Bobcat combo bucket off craigslist for $675 last with very little use, its VERY heavy though, Almost 1000lbs. My 743 wasnt happy about using it unless you were handling light brush. If I were you, I would opt for a light duty 60" brush grapple...less weight, more you can pick up. As long your the one running your machine, I dont think the 743 is strong enough to break a grapple. Or buy anything cheap that works on craigslist, that what I do :) Photobucket Photobucket

SkidRoe

If you plan to use it for brush and handling wood, definetly get a one with open tines for the bottom with independent grapples. Clam buckets (4 n 1) are good, but are somewhat limited. Dont get anything built super heavy or wider then 60" for a 743. I bought a 74" Bobcat combo bucket off craigslist for $675 last with very little use, its VERY heavy though, Almost 1000lbs. My 743 wasnt happy about using it unless you were handling light brush. If I were you, I would opt for a light duty 60" brush grapple...less weight, more you can pick up. As long your the one running your machine, I dont think the 743 is strong enough to break a grapple. Or buy anything cheap that works on craigslist, that what I do :)
The 4-in-1 looks right at home on your 873. I had no idea that they were that heavy.

Tazza

Staff member
The 4-in-1 looks right at home on your 873. I had no idea that they were that heavy.
I run a 4 in 1 on my 743, no issues here. All my machines have come with 4 in 1 buckets, i couldn't live without one :)
No issues with lifting abilities either, I sure can move a lot of dirt and fast with it. Great to load, just grab and close the clam to fill. No need to try and get enough traction to push into the pile to get a full load.

[email protected]

I run a 4 in 1 on my 743, no issues here. All my machines have come with 4 in 1 buckets, i couldn't live without one :)
No issues with lifting abilities either, I sure can move a lot of dirt and fast with it. Great to load, just grab and close the clam to fill. No need to try and get enough traction to push into the pile to get a full load.
http://capecod.craigslist.org/grd/3427445971.html there is a guy in MA selling 2 grapples....not sure of your location. seems like a good deal.

Mikefromcny

http://capecod.craigslist.org/grd/3427445971.html there is a guy in MA selling 2 grapples....not sure of your location. seems like a good deal.
Thats not a bad deal considering what bobcat wants new for their attachments. My 74" 4n1 is $3800 new. Too bad theyre 6 hours away. Tazza, how wide is the 4n1 on your 743? Mahans, look on ebay, you cant find a decent deal on new ones around $1500, some with free shipping.

OP
OP
mahans7

mahans7

Thats not a bad deal considering what bobcat wants new for their attachments. My 74" 4n1 is $3800 new. Too bad theyre 6 hours away. Tazza, how wide is the 4n1 on your 743? Mahans, look on ebay, you cant find a decent deal on new ones around $1500, some with free shipping.
Thanks for all the input guys. The 2 bucket grapples on Capecod Islands are the best price I've seem($1300) but I'm in Alabama. I watch ebay and craigslist daily but the Birmingham area doesn't have many available.

I'll likely get the 60" wide, 425-600 lb. root graple with 1 claw (unless I can find a good price on the 2 claw version). Thanks for all the valuable input as usual.

SkidRoe

Thanks for all the input guys. The 2 bucket grapples on Capecod Islands are the best price I've seem($1300) but I'm in Alabama. I watch ebay and craigslist daily but the Birmingham area doesn't have many available.

I'll likely get the 60" wide, 425-600 lb. root graple with 1 claw (unless I can find a good price on the 2 claw version). Thanks for all the valuable input as usual.
You could build one....

OP
OP
mahans7

mahans7

You could build one....
SR, I've seen your amazing work on the 42" grapple. I have a friend who has a steel fabricating company and probably has a laser cutter. Do you have the name of the CAD program that you used and do you still have DEX files/cut list. I'm kind of leery of taking on something this large especially with the welding thats required. Man, I would love to try it but my welding skills are minimal. But the more I read about it I'm tempted to try. Thanks.

SkidRoe

SR, I've seen your amazing work on the 42" grapple. I have a friend who has a steel fabricating company and probably has a laser cutter. Do you have the name of the CAD program that you used and do you still have DEX files/cut list. I'm kind of leery of taking on something this large especially with the welding thats required. Man, I would love to try it but my welding skills are minimal. But the more I read about it I'm tempted to try. Thanks.
I down loaded the program from the E-machine shop. The dxfs that I made would need to be scaled up to fit your 743. The only tricky part is figuring out the cylinder geometry, and fitting it to an available cylinder, or set of cylinders in your case. I would love to do a larger version than the one I did for the 440b, time is my enemy....

Latest posts