Replacing timing belt

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Stonehands

I have an 863 F series turbo bobcat. Question is how big of a problem or how nasty is the job of replacing the timing belt. I have no current issues but not sure if it has ever been changed and I have had it 7 or 8 years. Is it a job left to the shop or can someone relatively handy do this job. I do the routine repairs now such as all fluids, starter and alternator swaps and injector replacements. Not sure of the job of replacing the timing belt. I have a shop manual and parts manual as well. Opinions please. My thanks.

Hotrod1830

I have heard you need to follow the service manual exactly . Make sure you have ALL the tools.
Also, Peugeot specifies a tension gauge in the manual. Must be important because a see one mention of a place renting it out for a small fee. Also mention that the "universal" tools dont fit the bill) Timing belt's can sometimes be a little tricky. They seem simple enough, but there is the problem.
Get the belt too lose, and it will jump. Get the belt too tight, it will make lots of noise, overheat and break.
Bobcat sells the belt as a kit. Includes belt, tensioner and bolt. Don't forget the water pump while you are in there.

lesgawlik

I have heard you need to follow the service manual exactly . Make sure you have ALL the tools.
Also, Peugeot specifies a tension gauge in the manual. Must be important because a see one mention of a place renting it out for a small fee. Also mention that the "universal" tools dont fit the bill) Timing belt's can sometimes be a little tricky. They seem simple enough, but there is the problem.
Get the belt too lose, and it will jump. Get the belt too tight, it will make lots of noise, overheat and break.
Bobcat sells the belt as a kit. Includes belt, tensioner and bolt. Don't forget the water pump while you are in there.
I think that's the Deutz. I didn't replace the belt myself, but I had it done. There's a kit that's about $150 USD. I think it contains some dowel pins that go in timing holes. I've read that you can use sections of drill bits instead, but since the kit contains the belt I wonder whether it's worth it. The labor charge was minor, so I don't think it's much of a job. The Deutz BF4M1011F is an interference engine, and a broken timing belt is likely to damage the engine. It is a maintenance item. There is a spec on it, and I think it's replace every 300 hours. You do want to do it.

OP
OP
S

Stonehands

I think that's the Deutz. I didn't replace the belt myself, but I had it done. There's a kit that's about $150 USD. I think it contains some dowel pins that go in timing holes. I've read that you can use sections of drill bits instead, but since the kit contains the belt I wonder whether it's worth it. The labor charge was minor, so I don't think it's much of a job. The Deutz BF4M1011F is an interference engine, and a broken timing belt is likely to damage the engine. It is a maintenance item. There is a spec on it, and I think it's replace every 300 hours. You do want to do it.
Thanks everyone. I will give it a shot. I have a shop manual and parts manual and if in doubt, I can always have the bobcat dealer come over and pick the unit up and take it in. I think they charge $80.00 to pick it up and deliver it.

mmsllc

Thanks everyone. I will give it a shot. I have a shop manual and parts manual and if in doubt, I can always have the bobcat dealer come over and pick the unit up and take it in. I think they charge $80.00 to pick it up and deliver it.
How many hours are on your machine? I have a 863 as well & I'm sure it needs to be replaced, aswell; before it breaks!

lesgawlik

How many hours are on your machine? I have a 863 as well & I'm sure it needs to be replaced, aswell; before it breaks!
The timing belt is a maintenance item. I think it's replace every 500 hours or 2 years.

bobbie-g

The timing belt is a maintenance item. I think it's replace every 500 hours or 2 years.
My Bobcat manual for the Deutz engine in an 863 says replace the timing belt every 3000 hrs or 5 years. Presumably that means whichever interval comes first. I bought mine from the original owner, 12 years old and 900 hrs, and I don't think they ever had the belt changed. Since I understand this is an interference engine, a broken timing belt is not something I'm willing to risk by stretching out the recommended interval very much. I now have 800 hrs and 6 years on my belt, and I'm planning on changing it this winter myself. :) ---Bobbie-G

lesgawlik

My Bobcat manual for the Deutz engine in an 863 says replace the timing belt every 3000 hrs or 5 years. Presumably that means whichever interval comes first. I bought mine from the original owner, 12 years old and 900 hrs, and I don't think they ever had the belt changed. Since I understand this is an interference engine, a broken timing belt is not something I'm willing to risk by stretching out the recommended interval very much. I now have 800 hrs and 6 years on my belt, and I'm planning on changing it this winter myself. :) ---Bobbie-G
Found this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ae13eR-I1rU I've not done this job, but the video looks pretty good.

7LBSSMALLIE

Found this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ae13eR-I1rU I've not done this job, but the video looks pretty good.
yes its important it will fail and than you are doing push rods and valve cover gaskets an reseting the valves. the OTC tools are imperative. if its one tooth out it will start and run. but not very well. can be done in field . ithink standered service time is three hrs. that's think not know.

OP
OP
S

Stonehands

yes its important it will fail and than you are doing push rods and valve cover gaskets an reseting the valves. the OTC tools are imperative. if its one tooth out it will start and run. but not very well. can be done in field . ithink standered service time is three hrs. that's think not know.
Thank you everyone for the great responses. I will most likely give it a shot myself. The dealer is an hour away but pricey to do a site job. That will be my fall back position however. Thank you again for everyone that jumped in on my original post. Great site.