replacing a cutting edge

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

mrbb

OK I have a question for those with more experience than me I am looking to have a new cutting edge installed on a 72 inch wide skid steer bucket my questions are 1, how important is having an angled/beveled cutting edge, as I found some AR 400 steel, cut to the size I need, but doesn't have a beveled/angled edge so its just cut at a flush flat edge? Next how much better is AR 400 over say hardened 10565 steel as I also found a 1055 edge(beveled/angled edge) for the same price as the AR 400 above? is it worth having the beveled edge over the harder steel of the AR 400? this bucket will; be used mostly for plowing snow on a dirt gravel and partially paved(rough paved drive ways, a sin, pavement was dumped and spread with a bucket, NOT roller, so its very uneven and rough!) and to load and move some top soil screenings, rocks up to Basketball size and or slightly larger at times mixed in! will NOT see a ton of use, maybe about 40 hours a YR of use in all? does the beveled/angled edge make that big of a difference?? or will just a plain jane edge be OK? thanks in advamce

Tazza

Staff member
I don't know the hardness of the 10565 vs the ar 400, you want a hard cutting edge, but you don't want it a lot harder than ar 400, the harder it gets, the more brittle it will be.
Honestly, you want the bevel, without it, it won't cut very well.

OP
OP
M

mrbb

I don't know the hardness of the 10565 vs the ar 400, you want a hard cutting edge, but you don't want it a lot harder than ar 400, the harder it gets, the more brittle it will be.
Honestly, you want the bevel, without it, it won't cut very well.
sorry that was a typo, its 1055 and its about half the hardness of the AR 400

Tazza

Staff member
sorry that was a typo, its 1055 and its about half the hardness of the AR 400
It won't last as long as AR400, obviously. It will allow for flexibility better, but it will wear faster.
I guess the miggest thing is, how much work do you plan in giving it? if it's not commercial work, it will be far better than having nothing at all.

farmshop

It won't last as long as AR400, obviously. It will allow for flexibility better, but it will wear faster.
I guess the miggest thing is, how much work do you plan in giving it? if it's not commercial work, it will be far better than having nothing at all.
Most weld on edges aren't ar400. I would buy the beveled edge and fill it for a bolt on edge.

OP
OP
M

mrbb

Most weld on edges aren't ar400. I would buy the beveled edge and fill it for a bolt on edge.
sorry for not getting back sooner, got side tracked and well, forgot about things! Any how, I picked up a 3/4 inch thick cutting edge of AR 400, found a shop that had one in stock and been sitting on it a while and wanted it sold, sold it to me for a 100 bucks cash, great deal I think? everyone else wanted like 225 or more for same thing! Now have to get welder buddy over to cut old one off and put this new one on for me also this machine is lightly used about a rural property for fixing drive way, adding gravel, and plowing snow so this wear bar/cutting edge should out last the machine maybe LOL its a 1999 NH< Lx 865, with 2,,000 hours only in pretty decent shape other wise, zero rust and its stored indoors!

wings5j

sorry for not getting back sooner, got side tracked and well, forgot about things! Any how, I picked up a 3/4 inch thick cutting edge of AR 400, found a shop that had one in stock and been sitting on it a while and wanted it sold, sold it to me for a 100 bucks cash, great deal I think? everyone else wanted like 225 or more for same thing! Now have to get welder buddy over to cut old one off and put this new one on for me also this machine is lightly used about a rural property for fixing drive way, adding gravel, and plowing snow so this wear bar/cutting edge should out last the machine maybe LOL its a 1999 NH< Lx 865, with 2,,000 hours only in pretty decent shape other wise, zero rust and its stored indoors!
I think you did great. Years ago I was needing a new cutting edge. I checked with Bobcat and with other skidsteer dealers (caterpillar, etc.) and the going rate was about $200 bucks for a 66" edge, 1/2" thick. I ended up finding one about 80" long and 5/8" thick so I just cut it to length. The extra thickness has been a good thing and it has heled up well. As an added bonus, it had plow bolt holes in it and I made a bolt on edge with digging teeth. Best wishes on the install. John

OP
OP
M

mrbb

I think you did great. Years ago I was needing a new cutting edge. I checked with Bobcat and with other skidsteer dealers (caterpillar, etc.) and the going rate was about $200 bucks for a 66" edge, 1/2" thick. I ended up finding one about 80" long and 5/8" thick so I just cut it to length. The extra thickness has been a good thing and it has heled up well. As an added bonus, it had plow bolt holes in it and I made a bolt on edge with digging teeth. Best wishes on the install. John
thanks, and yes I think I did good on the price of cutting edge, but did run a little more on the removal of old and welding on new one, quote I had almost doubled2 inch one and this is 3/4's so in the long run it should last a lot longer got some use already with it(moved 4 tri axle loads of back fill clay rock mixed dirt), works nice and even stiffened up bucket some I think too! overall very happy,

OP
OP
M

mrbb

thanks, and yes I think I did good on the price of cutting edge, but did run a little more on the removal of old and welding on new one, quote I had almost doubled2 inch one and this is 3/4's so in the long run it should last a lot longer got some use already with it(moved 4 tri axle loads of back fill clay rock mixed dirt), works nice and even stiffened up bucket some I think too! overall very happy,
wish we could post pictures here, I'd post some, but don;t know how or even if possible here?

flyerdan

wish we could post pictures here, I'd post some, but don;t know how or even if possible here?
It is possible; all you need to do is have them hosted on the web somewhere, preferably so the link to it ends in a suitable picture extension, like .jpg You can create an album here for that, the photo tab at the top of the page will take you there.
Then you have to physically enter all of the html tags to get it to display properly, and set the sizes so it won't break the forum frames.
Or you can just drop a text link to the pic in a post and I'll be along to sort it; since there is no user editing after you hit post, that might be best if you're not familiar with codes. Sometimes it takes me a couple tries to get it right, even with the preview. vBulletin this ain't.

OP
OP
M

mrbb

It is possible; all you need to do is have them hosted on the web somewhere, preferably so the link to it ends in a suitable picture extension, like .jpg You can create an album here for that, the photo tab at the top of the page will take you there.
Then you have to physically enter all of the html tags to get it to display properly, and set the sizes so it won't break the forum frames.
Or you can just drop a text link to the pic in a post and I'll be along to sort it; since there is no user editing after you hit post, that might be best if you're not familiar with codes. Sometimes it takes me a couple tries to get it right, even with the preview. vBulletin this ain't.
well forgive me for being old or, just lacking in tech skills, but I think all that is past my skill set, I am on some other forums that tend to have a different way of doing it that doesn't require me to do much, I have NO clue how to resize a picture, I can email pic's if one wants to share them here for me, but not sure there are PM's on this site to share emails? as I said I am not that tech wise a guy, and I don't have or use any online host for pictures, I'm just a guy witha PC at home still that holds pic's on it for me?