Replacement key for a John Deere 170 Skid Steer.

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

bronko

I cannot locate the key for my John Deere 170 Skid Steer. Does anyone know where to get a replacement key?

brdgbldr

I cannot locate the key for my John Deere 170 Skid Steer. Does anyone know where to get a replacement key?
I don't know about John Deere specifically, but most heavy equipment manufacturers only use 1 or 2 keys for there entire line of machines. Bobcat only has 1.

You could probably just get one from the dealer or a cheap one off of eBay or Amazon.

I was flabbergasted when I found out that with one key I could get into and operate any keyed Bobcat machine.

OP
OP
B

bronko

Thanks for your reply. I checked with my local JD dealer and they told me the key replacement is obsolete. They mentiomed I may need to buy the entire key assembly.

mrbb

if you need a whole new key assembly, there not that much if there this style
almost scary that a machine costing what these tings did NEW, can be up and running with a cheap new key switch!, but is what it is!, and food for thought too, if you look at your current switch, find a part # and just buy another, you most likely will get two new keys and a SPARE key switch ! HAHA!
I replaced my key switch twice and now have like 6 keys! as they were all the same!(1999 yr machine)