replacement engine for cat 226

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

craigr

I have a cat 226 with a 3034 engine, oil pump failed, engine is shot, cat wants $14000 for rebuilt. looks like cat used both a 3024t and a 3034 in the 226. Will the 3024t fit in a machine that had a 3034? I know the 3024 displacement is less but with the turbo the hp is about the same.

Fate3d

Its best to rebuild the 3034 engine. The smaller engine is under powered and you will not be happy with that. I just finish rebuilding mine. Mine threw a rod and repaired the block. The rebuild cost I think was around $5000. PM me if you need more info. I have a 2004 Cat 246

Tazza

Staff member
Its best to rebuild the 3034 engine. The smaller engine is under powered and you will not be happy with that. I just finish rebuilding mine. Mine threw a rod and repaired the block. The rebuild cost I think was around $5000. PM me if you need more info. I have a 2004 Cat 246
Ignore my other post about asking what the rebuild cost.
That is pretty expensive, but at least you know it's good now.

Fate3d

Ignore my other post about asking what the rebuild cost.
That is pretty expensive, but at least you know it's good now.
The cost on my rebuilt 3034: block cleaned and sleeved $400 Head Machined and replaced spring and valves $375 Crank machined because of rod damage $600 Rebuild parts with new heads and rods $2750 turbo rebuilt $375 So around $4500. My engine was in bad shape. Can be cheaper if its not as bad as mine lol. I did find rebuilt 3034 and they want $8000 and so rebuilding is cheaper. Down grading a motor I was warned about so I just rebuilt it. :) It was a fun project. Now I know a lot more about my engine and that will help to keep it running for many years.

Tunji

The cost on my rebuilt 3034: block cleaned and sleeved $400 Head Machined and replaced spring and valves $375 Crank machined because of rod damage $600 Rebuild parts with new heads and rods $2750 turbo rebuilt $375 So around $4500. My engine was in bad shape. Can be cheaper if its not as bad as mine lol. I did find rebuilt 3034 and they want $8000 and so rebuilding is cheaper. Down grading a motor I was warned about so I just rebuilt it. :) It was a fun project. Now I know a lot more about my engine and that will help to keep it running for many years.
Hi I Have a Cat226 requiring engine rebuild but I haven't been able to locate the rebuild kits in Nigeria. Grateful if you could recommend the company that supplied yours. thanks

Tunji

Hi How did you finally solve this problem? I face a similar challenge now and the cost of reman CAT3034 far exceed my budget and the cost of the machine itself. Please help out!

kroog

Hi How did you finally solve this problem? I face a similar challenge now and the cost of reman CAT3034 far exceed my budget and the cost of the machine itself. Please help out!
CAT doesn't offer any reman skid steer engines. If you look on the internet, you can find engine rebuilders and purchase one of theirs. The 3034 in the A series was superior to the 3024T. and I would stay with it if you can.

jumbo

Hi mate, how did you get the block repaired. I have talked to alot of engineering firms and none will touch it. i also have a 3034 witch threw a rod as well. i am in australia

jumbo

Hi just wondering if you put a hole through your engine block and had it repaired. I have a 3034 engine with a hole through the engine block so trying to find someone that will repair the block or if it is possible.