Removing a Foundation and bushes

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

TimothyPerkins

I need to remove the foundation from a cinder block home and remove bushes as well. The home was build in the late 70's and I do not know if there is any rebar in the foundation. My original plan was to rent a mini-EX and a skid steer with a jack-hammer attachment to break up the foundation. I had someone suggest to me to just rent the skid steer and jack hammer attachment as it could do to all the work and I can save on renting. Is is good advice or do I need both pieces of equipment?

foton

If you get enough machine to run a hammer it will work ,but a mini-ex with a thumb would be nice to load your broken concrete into a dump truck or trailer, but you could get another skid steer backhoe attachment to do that too. it just depends how fast you want to get it done and is there going to be more than one operator. two people two machines.

Daveb68

I need to remove the foundation from a cinder block home and remove bushes as well. The home was build in the late 70's and I do not know if there is any rebar in the foundation. My original plan was to rent a mini-EX and a skid steer with a jack-hammer attachment to break up the foundation. I had someone suggest to me to just rent the skid steer and jack hammer attachment as it could do to all the work and I can save on renting. Is is good advice or do I need both pieces of equipment?
If it's really a cider block wall that should come apart with out a hydrolic breaker. It really depends on whether or not it has a basement that goes below grade then you will have a challenge on your hand and may want to get some prices to sub it out. Buy the time you're done renting a bobcat, Excavator & hammer you're looking at over a grand and if they're going to have to deliver then you looking at more money. But if it doesn't have a basement then rent a decent size medium size mini Excavator with thumbs so you can pick up the blocks and if it is blocks it may or may not have rebar in it. If it's a solid concrete pour then it definitely has rebar In it and you will need a breaker. Large shrubs should pull right out with a long enough chain or bull rope and tie it to the tow hitch on a 3/4 or 1 ton truck and they should come out fairly easy, especially Rhododendrons, they come out with the root ball intact and can usually be transplanted as long as you hook the chain on the base by the ground so it won't snap. Yes on the other hand have a deep taproot and you will need a good start. Azaleas and smaller shrubs like that will pop right out.
I would get numbers but just for the demo and do the disposal yourself if possible.
Good luck. If your in Massachusetts hit me up.
Daveb68

Daveb68

If it's really a cider block wall that should come apart with out a hydrolic breaker. It really depends on whether or not it has a basement that goes below grade then you will have a challenge on your hand and may want to get some prices to sub it out. Buy the time you're done renting a bobcat, Excavator & hammer you're looking at over a grand and if they're going to have to deliver then you looking at more money. But if it doesn't have a basement then rent a decent size medium size mini Excavator with thumbs so you can pick up the blocks and if it is blocks it may or may not have rebar in it. If it's a solid concrete pour then it definitely has rebar In it and you will need a breaker. Large shrubs should pull right out with a long enough chain or bull rope and tie it to the tow hitch on a 3/4 or 1 ton truck and they should come out fairly easy, especially Rhododendrons, they come out with the root ball intact and can usually be transplanted as long as you hook the chain on the base by the ground so it won't snap. Yes on the other hand have a deep taproot and you will need a good start. Azaleas and smaller shrubs like that will pop right out.
I would get numbers but just for the demo and do the disposal yourself if possible.
Good luck. If your in Massachusetts hit me up.
Daveb68
We're it says yes on the other hand, I meant for it to say Yews which have deep tap roots.

SkidRoe

I agree with the above - cinder blocks come apart pretty easy - only place you might need a breaker is for the slab (if there is one) and the footings. Excavator with a thumb would be ideal.

For bushes, I typically use my Bobtach hoe, rips them out easily without having to get too close to them. Clean them up with my grapple afterwards.