Reconnecting drive motor hoses 753H, and others…

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Skidder Dave

This thread is posted to hopefully help others. I have rebuilt both drive motors on my 753H - actually not that difficult. The hard part is reconnecting the super stiff 4-ply drive hoses after the drive motor is reinstalled. The reconnect must be performed thru the access mouse hole in the side of the Bobcat. I have tried reconnecting using brute strength, which usually results in a damaged face o-ring, bloody knuckles, and then "do it all over again". Today I discovered the holy grail on how to do this easily. The drive hose connects to an adapter fitting having an OD o-ring motor side, and a face o-ring in a groove hose end - the face o-ring is the o-ring I always destroy. Remove the hose adapter for both hoses. My experience is that the OD O-ring can be reused. The face o-ring WILL be damaged by disassembly. Raise the cab. Install a hose clamp to secure a small (I used 1/8") S-hook to the lower hose. Install a small pulley to hydraulic pump mounting plate under the cab. Snake a rope (I used paracord) from the hose S-hook up through the pulley and out the front of the machine. Attach the front cord end to an ATV winch or similar. Use the winch to pull the hose end away from the drive motor to make enough room to install the adapter to the hose. Install a new face o-ring in the groove on the adapter with plenty of Vaseline to hold it in the groove before attaching to the hose. Thread the adapter on to the hose, but not tight - the threaded collar should be able to spin. Slack off the winch until you are able to thread the adapter into the drive motor. Torque the adapter, then the threaded collar. Remove the hose clamp and s-hook from the hose. Repeat for the upper hose. Remember to remove the pulley. No more damaged o-rings, bloody knuckles or massive cussing. Hope this helps somebody!

Latest posts