"How to" on replacing Fuel tank pick up tube 853

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

balbert

Hi everyone new to the forum and while I am sure my inquiry today has been discussed at length, I still have not full found an answer to my question. I have a Bobcat 853 with the common fuel starvation issue. I am convinced that it this the puck up tube /check vale after confirming with running a line into a container of fuel. My question is does anyone have step by step instructions or a video in how to replace these items. It appears to be buried under the pump and behind the engine with very limited access - I can barely get a finger in what I believe is the line I wish to remove. I have read in the forum that while not easy it can be done without removing the engine or pump - any help would be appreciated.

bobbie-g

I don't know specifically about an 853. Seems these fuel feed and fuel return ports are in different places for diff machines. There will be both a return line and a pickup line. Much easier to do only one than to do the wrong one first :) Once you have convinced yourself you know which line/elbow is which, raising the lift arms all the way up (using the lift cylinder lock once they're up, of course), it may help with access from the side. Or you may have to borrow the dog's bed mattress and put it on the hydraulic lines to make a place to lie down while you have your arms and head stuck in the inaccessible places while bent around in unnatural ways. Usually a pain no matter what, although some are easier than others. I think my 751 was nearly impossible to reach but the Bobcat tech did it while inventing new swear words in the process. And when you finally manage that task, I would sure put in a new Bobcat-supplied pickup tube/clips/checkvalve and rubber grommet. Not something you want to repeat often. Good luck and keep us posted. :) ---Bobbie-G

farmshop

I don't know specifically about an 853. Seems these fuel feed and fuel return ports are in different places for diff machines. There will be both a return line and a pickup line. Much easier to do only one than to do the wrong one first :) Once you have convinced yourself you know which line/elbow is which, raising the lift arms all the way up (using the lift cylinder lock once they're up, of course), it may help with access from the side. Or you may have to borrow the dog's bed mattress and put it on the hydraulic lines to make a place to lie down while you have your arms and head stuck in the inaccessible places while bent around in unnatural ways. Usually a pain no matter what, although some are easier than others. I think my 751 was nearly impossible to reach but the Bobcat tech did it while inventing new swear words in the process. And when you finally manage that task, I would sure put in a new Bobcat-supplied pickup tube/clips/checkvalve and rubber grommet. Not something you want to repeat often. Good luck and keep us posted. :) ---Bobbie-G
Buy the new grommet to go in it. Use a lot of lube and I usually have sever screw drivers and pry bars to force them in. You may consider removing motor mount bolts to allow the engine and pump to tilt back

OP
OP
B

balbert

Buy the new grommet to go in it. Use a lot of lube and I usually have sever screw drivers and pry bars to force them in. You may consider removing motor mount bolts to allow the engine and pump to tilt back
Thanks for the replies guys - as I said any hint will help as I can only get a fingertip on it now. I like the idea of rolling the engine / pump back that would be a big help. What are the thoughts on removing the hydraulic reservoir? Following these suggestions would probably mean leaving it in place and work around it. I have purchased all genuine Bobcat parts including grommet, check valve, tube, clamps, primer bulb and fuel line and brass elbow. Is there a special tool for the clamps - they definitely don't look like they would expand enough... Again thanks for the help so far - will keep you posted.

farmshop

Thanks for the replies guys - as I said any hint will help as I can only get a fingertip on it now. I like the idea of rolling the engine / pump back that would be a big help. What are the thoughts on removing the hydraulic reservoir? Following these suggestions would probably mean leaving it in place and work around it. I have purchased all genuine Bobcat parts including grommet, check valve, tube, clamps, primer bulb and fuel line and brass elbow. Is there a special tool for the clamps - they definitely don't look like they would expand enough... Again thanks for the help so far - will keep you posted.
I usually slide the clamps on first then push the fitting in