Question.......

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

perry

Tazza, Fish and anyone else with experience. What 5-10 Bobcats models from say, 1990 to present, would you say are best overall, taking everything into consideration.
I'm considering another machine and you guys input is valuable.

Thanks

nobull1

1990-743B Hands Down- I believe they could still sell them like hotcakes today.
S185
S205
T300
337X
Shane
Just curious as to what if anything you don't like about each model that you consider your favourites.
Brian

thetool

Shane
Just curious as to what if anything you don't like about each model that you consider your favourites.
Brian
Brian-I tend to run off at the keyboard-my opinions are based on maintenance and repairs rather than operating.
I could give you a list of those things if you like......=).
Shane

Tazza

Staff member
Brian-I tend to run off at the keyboard-my opinions are based on maintenance and repairs rather than operating.
Shane
I guess it all depends on what you are looking for, easy to service, cheap to service! Simplicity? spare parts availability?
In the past i would have said 743 all the way, but i have had the *pleasure* to use a 753 that i actually loved.
743 - easy to work on, parts are still available for the hydro's, quite strong but there are flaws in the chassis and arms that does let it crack over time. Axle seals are a pain in the butt to change. The engine is no longer being made, parts are available still but limited supply. I feel the engine is a little under-powered too.
753 - easy to work on too, pull the engine and pump as one unit. More electrics plus BICS box, i personally wouldn't go higher than an F series as after that you get BOSS. Easy to work on as well, no reduction boxes for the drive just a larger hydro motor. The engine is still in production, parts are no problem, has .5L more displacement than the 743 and you can feel it! The pump has parts available and they are CHEAP even the rotating groups. The frame seems stronger too.
763 - No higher than an F series to stay away from BOSS, i have one that i still need to work on, but the pump, engine and drive system are the same as the 753. The improvements i have seen is thicker steel on stress points, i would seriously doubt it will crack like the 743's did. But as i have not got it running, i can't be a good judge of this machine.
Good lick in your search.

nobull1

Shane
Shane
Your experience working on all the different models gives you a wealth of knowledge. Anyone contemplating buying a machine would love to be able to read what your opinions are. I know since buying my 763 it has been a steep learning curve for me. In hind site I was mostly lucky to get a machine that parts are available for and ease of repairs. When I first found out the motor had to come out to change the pump seal I was not impressed. After seeing the motor come out I realized it wasn't that bad of a job. Most people looking for a used machine don't have a lot of knowledge of the models to purchase or avoid, or for what reasons.Sites like this are becoming the knowledge base for potential consumers. So feel free to express your opinions on the good, bad and ugly for the models you suggested. Hopefully it will take you 500-1000 or more words to explain the pros and cons, the more the better :). Anyone else that has maintenance/repairs opinions on their favourites should post pros and cons as well. This is a good thread started by Perry and hopefully full of good opinions.
Thanks
Brian

thetool

Shane
Your experience working on all the different models gives you a wealth of knowledge. Anyone contemplating buying a machine would love to be able to read what your opinions are. I know since buying my 763 it has been a steep learning curve for me. In hind site I was mostly lucky to get a machine that parts are available for and ease of repairs. When I first found out the motor had to come out to change the pump seal I was not impressed. After seeing the motor come out I realized it wasn't that bad of a job. Most people looking for a used machine don't have a lot of knowledge of the models to purchase or avoid, or for what reasons.Sites like this are becoming the knowledge base for potential consumers. So feel free to express your opinions on the good, bad and ugly for the models you suggested. Hopefully it will take you 500-1000 or more words to explain the pros and cons, the more the better :). Anyone else that has maintenance/repairs opinions on their favourites should post pros and cons as well. This is a good thread started by Perry and hopefully full of good opinions.
Thanks
Brian
hmmm.....
Trying to gauge your attitude without the benefit of body language....
I retract my offer of the list and regret responding to this post. To accomodate your request requires more than I can provide all at one time.
Feel free to browse any of my previous posts for a feel of where I stand.
Post questions yourself on each of these models and I may respond incrementally, and over a period of time you will get from me what you desire.
If you are hostile, and I have offended you at any time with my opinionated ramblings, I apologize.

nobull1

hmmm.....
I retract my offer of the list and regret responding to this post. To accomodate your request requires more than I can provide all at one time.
Post questions yourself on each of these models and I may respond incrementally, and over a period of time you will get from me what you desire.
If you are hostile, and I have offended you at any time with my opinionated ramblings, I apologize.
My attitude is nothing but wanting to learn all I can about the models you spoke of. As a former tech for 23 years in the power tool business having repaired probably over 10,000 tools I have opinions on tools. The last 15 years repairing Makita tools as a factory tech. I would have no problem giving you or anyone else my opinion on which tools to buy or avoid and reasons why. This is what I thought you might provide. No hidden agenda or snide replies intended, only looking for information/opinions. Sorry if it came across like that.
Brian

OP
OP
P

perry

hmmm.....
Like most, I'm a little hesitant to turn loose of cash these days, but with some of the values out there caused by this lousy economy, it's hard not to!.

thetool

Like most, I'm a little hesitant to turn loose of cash these days, but with some of the values out there caused by this lousy economy, it's hard not to!.
Okay maybe I need to check my meds....=). the problem with me right now is that it's slow and I'm spending too much time on the internet. Some of the sites and boards I like to post on require me to go through Jekyll/Hyde-type transformations and I think my skin-thickness control might have gotten temporarily out of calibration......sorry Brian.
The 743B is my all time favorite. Like Tazza said, with the axles on a 743, the B updated to a pop-off hub. The engine is a cinch to pull. Simple electrical. Went to the standard updated Bob-Tach.
The control valves on these seemed to me to be leaky, and they are a PIA to pull out for rebuild. Not a lot of room to re-seal the spools in-frame, and the fitting o-rings liked to leak.
The 753 for me good and bad. The engine-pump assembly is harder to pull, but not that bad once you've done it a few times. The valves were nicley situated, but it seems the leakiness went away, so go figure. Under the cab, things are kinda tight. Neutral adjustments are easier, and steering rebuilds also. from the B-series.
I like the 763 best of the F-series because it's like an less-tight 753, and the S185 is the same way. You open the cab and all the engine mounts and everything is right in your face.
Alternators are a different story.........=(.
From a repair standpoint, I never really was impressed with the 8's. Everything is just too tight. They did some funky things, messing around with different controls, starting with external servo-assist steering on the 843's. Buy this machine and buy a nightmare. 853's or 863's? with servo pumps had cable and pedestal type steering, and these machines never felt to me as under control as a straight-linkage machine. Kinda lagging and sluggish on the sticks.
My advice: never Never NEVER buy:
1. A used SJC(G- or K-series Joystick) machine.
2. A used AWS (all wheel steer) machine
3. 751 peugot
4. Any FASTRAC mini excavator.
5. Any 943 or up.
Money pits all, 1 and 2 enslave you to the dealer, unless you know a local guy like me with mad skills and props, who is on his meds.....=).

nobull1

Okay maybe I need to check my meds....=). the problem with me right now is that it's slow and I'm spending too much time on the internet. Some of the sites and boards I like to post on require me to go through Jekyll/Hyde-type transformations and I think my skin-thickness control might have gotten temporarily out of calibration......sorry Brian.
The 743B is my all time favorite. Like Tazza said, with the axles on a 743, the B updated to a pop-off hub. The engine is a cinch to pull. Simple electrical. Went to the standard updated Bob-Tach.
The control valves on these seemed to me to be leaky, and they are a PIA to pull out for rebuild. Not a lot of room to re-seal the spools in-frame, and the fitting o-rings liked to leak.
The 753 for me good and bad. The engine-pump assembly is harder to pull, but not that bad once you've done it a few times. The valves were nicley situated, but it seems the leakiness went away, so go figure. Under the cab, things are kinda tight. Neutral adjustments are easier, and steering rebuilds also. from the B-series.
I like the 763 best of the F-series because it's like an less-tight 753, and the S185 is the same way. You open the cab and all the engine mounts and everything is right in your face.
Alternators are a different story.........=(.
From a repair standpoint, I never really was impressed with the 8's. Everything is just too tight. They did some funky things, messing around with different controls, starting with external servo-assist steering on the 843's. Buy this machine and buy a nightmare. 853's or 863's? with servo pumps had cable and pedestal type steering, and these machines never felt to me as under control as a straight-linkage machine. Kinda lagging and sluggish on the sticks.
My advice: never Never NEVER buy:
1. A used SJC(G- or K-series Joystick) machine.
2. A used AWS (all wheel steer) machine
3. 751 peugot
4. Any FASTRAC mini excavator.
5. Any 943 or up.
Money pits all, 1 and 2 enslave you to the dealer, unless you know a local guy like me with mad skills and props, who is on his meds.....=).
Hey Shane were kool. It is hard to figure out what some people mean on a discussion board especially when you don't know them. I will tell you though I am the same as my nic Nobull. If I have an issue I will let you know and you won't have to figure it out :). But I have too much to do to come on boards and argue and insult people.
Didn't I see moderator under your name for awhile tonight?
Great write up on the different models by the way. I am sure it will be a asset for people searching for info before purchasing.
I agree with you about the alternator on the 763. I had to tighten and replace the belt on mine and realized that the through bolt on the bottom was seized to the alternator casing. I was able to move the bolt and alternator to tighten the belt but I don't know how I will get it out if I have to replace the alternator. Any idea's?

thetool

Hey Shane were kool. It is hard to figure out what some people mean on a discussion board especially when you don't know them. I will tell you though I am the same as my nic Nobull. If I have an issue I will let you know and you won't have to figure it out :). But I have too much to do to come on boards and argue and insult people.
Didn't I see moderator under your name for awhile tonight?
Great write up on the different models by the way. I am sure it will be a asset for people searching for info before purchasing.
I agree with you about the alternator on the 763. I had to tighten and replace the belt on mine and realized that the through bolt on the bottom was seized to the alternator casing. I was able to move the bolt and alternator to tighten the belt but I don't know how I will get it out if I have to replace the alternator. Any idea's?
Cool, Brian(high five)
I was screwing around teasing bobcat-Ron and made the moderator icon on my name, but just for a bit-I like this one better-what do you think?
Unlike you, I BS around a little, sometimes too much, and there are boards I like where trading insults is the common language.
On your alternator-I never saw one siezed, but with the steel-on-aluminum it certainly dosen't surprise me. That sounds like a tough nut to crack. If you're removing it because it's toasted, I guess breaking it isn't an issue if you want to put a new one in, as long as you don't break the block. Douche it down with penetrating oil? I'm not sure if you can swing it down far enough to get at the bracket mount bolts and pull the alternator, bolt and mount all together.
What is common is the lower mounting bracket breaking-this may be the problem and it has grabbed the bolt so that you think it's siezed. Just a thought.
I guess I'll start installing the bolts with anti-sieze now that I've heard of this happening....
The next time I do an alternator, I'll come at it like the bolt is siezed and see what's possible and get back.

bobcat_ron

Cool, Brian(high five)
I was screwing around teasing bobcat-Ron and made the moderator icon on my name, but just for a bit-I like this one better-what do you think?
Unlike you, I BS around a little, sometimes too much, and there are boards I like where trading insults is the common language.
On your alternator-I never saw one siezed, but with the steel-on-aluminum it certainly dosen't surprise me. That sounds like a tough nut to crack. If you're removing it because it's toasted, I guess breaking it isn't an issue if you want to put a new one in, as long as you don't break the block. Douche it down with penetrating oil? I'm not sure if you can swing it down far enough to get at the bracket mount bolts and pull the alternator, bolt and mount all together.
What is common is the lower mounting bracket breaking-this may be the problem and it has grabbed the bolt so that you think it's siezed. Just a thought.
I guess I'll start installing the bolts with anti-sieze now that I've heard of this happening....
The next time I do an alternator, I'll come at it like the bolt is siezed and see what's possible and get back.
Big props on staying away from any Puggy engined Bobcat. What were they thinking/smoking/drinking?

nobull1

Cool, Brian(high five)
That was kool for the moderator nic. I was starting to think there must be a line forming to get one :). I can banter as well, but not knowing people it can get you in trouble, so I tone it down.
The new nic is kool. It looks like it's running scared. Maybe it see's the other Cat, Deere and the big orange coming

Fishfiles

That was kool for the moderator nic. I was starting to think there must be a line forming to get one :). I can banter as well, but not knowing people it can get you in trouble, so I tone it down.
The new nic is kool. It looks like it's running scared. Maybe it see's the other Cat, Deere and the big orange coming
Perry , hows about instead of telling you what I like as most have been covered already that I tell you what I don't like , most worst the 442 has a messed up thumb/claw and cylinder design which don't hold up well to demo , raising the cab requires a kit which is expensive and not easy to lift , it's not made by Bobcat and parts are very expensive for it ,the machine has some parts and hoses on it that are a nightmare to change , I don't like the Versa Handler line at all , prefer Lull or Genie in all terrain telescopic loaders , skidsteers and tracked loaders I'd stay away from AHC and JSC and stick with foot pedals , the less wiring , controllers , sensors , actuators and software the better , I think the 553/753 /763/773 where the best that Bobcat has put out , very dependable , easy to work on , I agree it don't really need it but I am not affraid of the Boss/Bics setup it works without a lot of hassle , the 8 series are not as manuverable and don't have good floatation on dirt to me , the 9 series are horrible on floatation on dirt unless you have tracks over the tires , hard to work on and expensive parts , they are good for bulk loading , solid tire demo or mounted with a hammer breaking concrete and thats about it , I think the 322/328/331/334 have been very good machines , I don't like the 430 or the 435 the hydraulics plumbing is weak , don't multi funtion well and are light in the awse=-----if I were to get out of mechanics and into contractor work I would go with my two favorites the 763 and a 334 and I would try and build around breaking and removing concrete , dig for plumbers and electricans , prep sites for construction and dig swimming pools -----

OP
OP
P

perry

Perry , hows about instead of telling you what I like as most have been covered already that I tell you what I don't like , most worst the 442 has a messed up thumb/claw and cylinder design which don't hold up well to demo , raising the cab requires a kit which is expensive and not easy to lift , it's not made by Bobcat and parts are very expensive for it ,the machine has some parts and hoses on it that are a nightmare to change , I don't like the Versa Handler line at all , prefer Lull or Genie in all terrain telescopic loaders , skidsteers and tracked loaders I'd stay away from AHC and JSC and stick with foot pedals , the less wiring , controllers , sensors , actuators and software the better , I think the 553/753 /763/773 where the best that Bobcat has put out , very dependable , easy to work on , I agree it don't really need it but I am not affraid of the Boss/Bics setup it works without a lot of hassle , the 8 series are not as manuverable and don't have good floatation on dirt to me , the 9 series are horrible on floatation on dirt unless you have tracks over the tires , hard to work on and expensive parts , they are good for bulk loading , solid tire demo or mounted with a hammer breaking concrete and thats about it , I think the 322/328/331/334 have been very good machines , I don't like the 430 or the 435 the hydraulics plumbing is weak , don't multi funtion well and are light in the awse=-----if I were to get out of mechanics and into contractor work I would go with my two favorites the 763 and a 334 and I would try and build around breaking and removing concrete , dig for plumbers and electricans , prep sites for construction and dig swimming pools -----
Excellent replies, thanks. The 763 has been mentioned a number of times and they seem to be 'everywhere' so, with you guys input, I now have a target. The one thing that catches my attention, is the 'low' hours on the majority of machines I see for sale, 1-2K hours. With so many, it's hard to believe 'all' have tampered with the hour meter?.

thetool

Excellent replies, thanks. The 763 has been mentioned a number of times and they seem to be 'everywhere' so, with you guys input, I now have a target. The one thing that catches my attention, is the 'low' hours on the majority of machines I see for sale, 1-2K hours. With so many, it's hard to believe 'all' have tampered with the hour meter?.
Perry-I've seen a lot of 763's bought and sold, and between 1-2k on the hour meter is regular, or at least not uncommon-I would not assume that the hour meter has been broken or disconnected with those kind of hours.
More so would be it's condition-as you know, a machine with 2k hours of contienscous operation will look a lot different than a machine with only 500 hrs of devil-may-care git-er-done type operation.
Brian-my new icon represents the expression of your average Bobcat Dealer service customer when he is presented with his repair bill. Picture size limitations as well as my reluctance to post pornographic images precludes any image that conveys just exactly what it is that triggers that particualr facial expression, but it's not difficult to imagine......=).

Tazza

Staff member
Perry-I've seen a lot of 763's bought and sold, and between 1-2k on the hour meter is regular, or at least not uncommon-I would not assume that the hour meter has been broken or disconnected with those kind of hours.
More so would be it's condition-as you know, a machine with 2k hours of contienscous operation will look a lot different than a machine with only 500 hrs of devil-may-care git-er-done type operation.
Brian-my new icon represents the expression of your average Bobcat Dealer service customer when he is presented with his repair bill. Picture size limitations as well as my reluctance to post pornographic images precludes any image that conveys just exactly what it is that triggers that particualr facial expression, but it's not difficult to imagine......=).
Shane - HEY, i have a 751 with a pug!!! :)
Its a really nice machine after i got it running again, but the engine parts... omg they are rather expensive, Kubota all the way for me now.
I do like the new avitar :) and we all do enjoy a bit of *messing around* it keeps things less serious.