Pumping hydraulic/hydrostatic oil

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

JoRo

Can anyone recommend a particular type of pump for pumping out my hydraulic/hydrostatic oil resevoir? Thank you.

jerry

You could try a suck bucket and use the shop vacuum. Put a small enough hose on one side of a 5 gallon pail lid and a connection for the shop vac on the other side. There may be pictures here in the media section too. The pail just serves as place for the oil to drop out of the air stream.

OP
OP
J

JoRo

You could try a suck bucket and use the shop vacuum. Put a small enough hose on one side of a 5 gallon pail lid and a connection for the shop vac on the other side. There may be pictures here in the media section too. The pail just serves as place for the oil to drop out of the air stream.
Thanks. Are there any other suggestions as to what type of pump and where to buy. Thanks.

OP
OP
J

JoRo

I like the bucket but you can buy one that a drill motor will work cheap walmart auto parts store
Thanks antfarmer2. That sounds like an easy and inexpensive way to empty your resevoir. And Jerry, I couldn't find any pics of the bucket set-up but it also sounds easy - just have to figure out what I need.

jerry

Thanks antfarmer2. That sounds like an easy and inexpensive way to empty your resevoir. And Jerry, I couldn't find any pics of the bucket set-up but it also sounds easy - just have to figure out what I need.
It may have been heavy equipment forum where I saw the suck bucket but if the drill pump will do it that's the quickest thing now. You can pump most of it out through the aux couplers also.

OP
OP
J

JoRo

It may have been heavy equipment forum where I saw the suck bucket but if the drill pump will do it that's the quickest thing now. You can pump most of it out through the aux couplers also.
Thanks Jerry ............ really appreciate it But can you elaborate on pumping thru couplers. Any one in particular or all?

jerry

I use a MityVac 7201 for this kind of stuff.
To pump it out thru the coupler you connect a open hose to the upper one start the engine at idle and engage the aux. As soon as it spits a little air I quit. Some people do not like this system so it's your decision. Is yours contaminated or are you just changing it because you want to?

OP
OP
J

JoRo

To pump it out thru the coupler you connect a open hose to the upper one start the engine at idle and engage the aux. As soon as it spits a little air I quit. Some people do not like this system so it's your decision. Is yours contaminated or are you just changing it because you want to?
Not sure. I was thinking of removing the filter and checking the condition of the oil. However, the oil looks real good in the sight gauge. I bought this skidsteer approx. 50 hrs ago and there's no indication of when oil was last changed. Should I change out the case drain filters as well or can they be cleaned and replaced. Thanks for all your support.