PTO adapter

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

foton

does anyone here have any thoughts about pto adapters ? I am looking at the Titan PTOMPHD . I have a 4 ft. rotary mower , and I know it will not be perfect running it backwards , for cutting saplings I think it should do the job. Would a over ride clutch be a good idea on the pto shaft to keep torque off the pump when it winds down? I guess I need to ask about rotation direction also just to make sure . And while I am here the machine I have coming in is a 20 gpm @ 3500 psi . do I need to upgrade any 2500-3000 psi hoses to match pump on new skid steer now or wait and see how it goes? opinions?

Tazza

Staff member
Running a PTO setup on a skidder won't give you the same results you have on a tractor, the hydraulic pump on most skid steer generally doesn't give you enough HP in hydraulic flow to do a great job, if you had hi-flo then yes, you would, but the normal 16-20 GPM pumps just don't seem to have the power to run a slasher as effectively as they should.
I hope your setup does what you want, but i have had people get hydraulic motors to run PTO gear and the results were disappointing.

OP
OP
F

foton

Running a PTO setup on a skidder won't give you the same results you have on a tractor, the hydraulic pump on most skid steer generally doesn't give you enough HP in hydraulic flow to do a great job, if you had hi-flo then yes, you would, but the normal 16-20 GPM pumps just don't seem to have the power to run a slasher as effectively as they should.
I hope your setup does what you want, but i have had people get hydraulic motors to run PTO gear and the results were disappointing.
yes I think you are right it was just a passing thought when I saw the adapter and I have 3 pt. stuff I was thinking would be nice to be able to run. the motors had all kinds of hp ratings some pretty unrealistic what they were claiming. I kinda shelved that idea for now anyway.

Lowe.Buuck

yes I think you are right it was just a passing thought when I saw the adapter and I have 3 pt. stuff I was thinking would be nice to be able to run. the motors had all kinds of hp ratings some pretty unrealistic what they were claiming. I kinda shelved that idea for now anyway.
You have to match the hydraulic PTO motor on the adapter to the hydraulic flow on the loader.
For a given hydraulic flow and pressure from the loader:
Larger displacement motors will turn slower but will produce more torque.
Smaller displacement motors will turn faster but will produce less torque.
I got a call from a guy who bought a PTO adapter from Skidsteer Solutions. He told them what loader he had and they selected a model and shipped it out. He tried it out with his PTO tiller. As soon as the tines contacted the ground they stopped rotating. After a number of phone calls with Skidsteer Solutions trying to resolve the issue, I got a call.
The issue was not a problem with the loader or the attachment. The issue was the PTO motor was sized incorrectly for his loader. I calculated the optimum displacement and he got back on the phone with the vendor.
Once he got an adapter with the correct size motor, the tiller worked well and he was happy.
An over-ride clutch would help, but a better solution is to add a "Tee" fitting to each of the lines that are attached to the loader. Connect the "Tee's" together with a check valve. This way when you turn off the flow from the loader the PTO motor can continue to rotate since the oil leaving the motor will travel to the TEE, through the check valve, through the 2d Tee and back to the motor. This allows the motor to coast down. The down side is you can not run the motor in the reverse direction because the oil from the loader will just open the check valve and return to the loader.
Also be aware that brush cutters do not like thick fine stem grass. It is one thing to have the blade shear off dry sticks. It takes a lot more power to cut thick fine stem grass where the load on the blade is heavy and constant.

OP
OP
F

foton

You have to match the hydraulic PTO motor on the adapter to the hydraulic flow on the loader.
For a given hydraulic flow and pressure from the loader:
Larger displacement motors will turn slower but will produce more torque.
Smaller displacement motors will turn faster but will produce less torque.
I got a call from a guy who bought a PTO adapter from Skidsteer Solutions. He told them what loader he had and they selected a model and shipped it out. He tried it out with his PTO tiller. As soon as the tines contacted the ground they stopped rotating. After a number of phone calls with Skidsteer Solutions trying to resolve the issue, I got a call.
The issue was not a problem with the loader or the attachment. The issue was the PTO motor was sized incorrectly for his loader. I calculated the optimum displacement and he got back on the phone with the vendor.
Once he got an adapter with the correct size motor, the tiller worked well and he was happy.
An over-ride clutch would help, but a better solution is to add a "Tee" fitting to each of the lines that are attached to the loader. Connect the "Tee's" together with a check valve. This way when you turn off the flow from the loader the PTO motor can continue to rotate since the oil leaving the motor will travel to the TEE, through the check valve, through the 2d Tee and back to the motor. This allows the motor to coast down. The down side is you can not run the motor in the reverse direction because the oil from the loader will just open the check valve and return to the loader.
Also be aware that brush cutters do not like thick fine stem grass. It is one thing to have the blade shear off dry sticks. It takes a lot more power to cut thick fine stem grass where the load on the blade is heavy and constant.
I was not going to use it for grass ,I have roads thru the property and saplings that are so skinny searching for some day lite fall into the driving area , so I was going to use it for cleaning up the edges. But I found a attachment a post puller , I was told that it was good on pulling saplings , I have willows and gums growing on the edge of my pond hopefully it will work good there too.