PSA: Good deal on snow tires

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

hfP4

I found a good deal on a narrow wheel/tire snow setup that may interest some of you. My local NTB had one set of their house brand (TBC, I think?) "Arctic Claw" tires in 235 85 16. $337 installed for a set of four. This particular tire is on clearance, so it's definitely a YMMV sort of thing. I'm not sure of the exact "arctic claw" model. These have a highly directional tread, and are studdable. Studs brought my tire purchase to $445 out the door. I probably accidentally paid for balancing too. My machine uses 6 lug wheels, so they're mounted on some 5.5x16 wheels I found on eBay. Search C5NN1007A to find those guys. $43 each. The rims aren't quite as beefy as my OEM 16.5x8.5 wheels. The center section is stamped out of 1/8" plate (according to my calipers) while the OEM center section appears to be 3/16. I expect it'll be fine for scooting around on smooth, snow-covered asphalt. I won't be doing any high speed runs across rocky terrain with these light-duty wheels. Total cost for the package: $617 I confess I don't understand exactly how the tire deal broke down. 2 weeks ago I was quoted $116/tire for these guys. Now they've available on a a "buy 2, get 2" deal, but that requires also purchasing an alignment. I explained I'd just be bringing in wheels, heard some clickety-clack on the keyboard and was quoted that price in reply.

OP
OP
H

hfP4

Picked up the mounted tires last evening. I was wrong about the directional tread pattern. They're non-directional. I must have been thinking of a different tire. These are "Arctic Claw XSi".