Proper engine oil level

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

cavedweller29

Hi all, First of all, I apologize for the long post. I have a 540 and I need help determining the proper engine oil level. Quick scenario first. I was using the bobcat and the engine bay started gushing smoke. Shut it down and found oil sprayed all over the inside of the bay. After pulling the engine to clean up the mess and find out what happened, I found that the oil dip tube had come out of its press fit hole on the block. I tried to replace it but over the years, the hole has worn enough that the dip tube would not stay. Not having access to parts on the weekend so I made the only repair I could think of, I drilled the hole a little bigger and tapped the hole out to 1/4 FIP and installed a 1/4 FIP x 3/8 comp fitting. I then trimmed off the old dip tube to the correct length (minus the new fitting) and put it back together. My problem is...I added the correct amount of oil, by volume, as specified in the engine manual but now the dipstick reads wayyyyy over filled. The manual states that I should not measure the amount of oil but that I should use the dipstick. So now I don't trust the dipstick and I don't dare to run it with the spec'd amount of oil. Any ideas on determining the proper oil level?

OldMachinist

Does it have the Kohler K582 engine? Maybe another member here could run a wire down their dipstick tube and measure the oil level from the bottom of the pan up. If no one responds to this post make another post asking for Kohler K582 oil level.

OP
OP
C

cavedweller29

Does it have the Kohler K582 engine? Maybe another member here could run a wire down their dipstick tube and measure the oil level from the bottom of the pan up. If no one responds to this post make another post asking for Kohler K582 oil level.
Hello OM, yes it does have the K582 engine, I should have put that in the first post. Thanks