Pressure Relief Valve, I did a stupid thing.

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

cnicholls

OK I did a stupid thing when I replaced some leaking drive motor hydraulic lines on my 743. I attempted to take off the left hand line without removing the stick linkage. I removed what I thought we just plugs, so I could get a 1 1/4" wrench on the lines. However I soon found out that the top was a pressure relief valve with a very strong spring. I replaced the lines just fine but I'll be damned if I can't get the plug to thread back in. I have tried leverage, brute force, but to no avail.
Is there anyone who has any tricks to get me out of this jam? Its the plug I am touching with my finger.

20161115_205108.jpg

Tazza

Staff member
I don't remember these psrings being so strong that the plug couldn't be screwed back on easily..... Are you sure the poppet and spring are lined up correctly?
Did it pop out with a lot of force when you first removed it?

melli

I don't remember these psrings being so strong that the plug couldn't be screwed back on easily..... Are you sure the poppet and spring are lined up correctly?
Did it pop out with a lot of force when you first removed it?
I'm clueless on those machines, but I'd have to think Tazza is onto something. Something isn't lined up right. If it is lined up properly, and it requires muscle to screw back in, I turn to my clamps (Irwin construction clamps) for a job like that. Find a stubby socket (or stick a nut inside socket, so bolt isn't totally covered), and stick on rachet. Put rachet on bolt, then clamp over the works, and 'gently' squeeze it together while turning rachet. My clamps can work both ways, in case you cannot find a place to grab on motor, find something solid above it and use spreader function. My clamps are life savers...almost a 1000pd force. Heck, two of them can jack up my car to change a tire (not recommended, just curious...lol).

Tazza

Staff member
I'm clueless on those machines, but I'd have to think Tazza is onto something. Something isn't lined up right. If it is lined up properly, and it requires muscle to screw back in, I turn to my clamps (Irwin construction clamps) for a job like that. Find a stubby socket (or stick a nut inside socket, so bolt isn't totally covered), and stick on rachet. Put rachet on bolt, then clamp over the works, and 'gently' squeeze it together while turning rachet. My clamps can work both ways, in case you cannot find a place to grab on motor, find something solid above it and use spreader function. My clamps are life savers...almost a 1000pd force. Heck, two of them can jack up my car to change a tire (not recommended, just curious...lol).
HEHE i like the point of the clamps to lift a car, with the disclaimer of not being recommended :)
I like that idea though, i have done something like that with a ratchet and pry bar.

Latest posts