Preheat glow plugs each time?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

marko13

If I start the engine after preheating the glow plugs first time, then work a bit then turn off for a minute or ten (can't leave running due to creep and no parking brake) do I have to preheat every time I stop and start it through the day? And I assume even in summer you preheat or is it just if it's cold? (1988 743 diesel)

cdmccul

If you jump off and back on, no need to pre-heat.

After you experiment a little bit, you might find that it is ok in 5 min, but needs pre-heated after 10. Or 20. Or 5!

Feel it out, and experiment.

OP
OP
M

marko13

I thought I read somewhere that the reason to preheat was if unburnt fuel hit the cyl walls before igniting that would build up and create permanent damage, aside from ease or difficulty starting. So I didn't know how tight you had to be with that

cdmccul

Hrrrrrmmmmmm... I'm not that deep into diesel stuff. I'd defer to another's knowledge.

brdgbldr

I thought I read somewhere that the reason to preheat was if unburnt fuel hit the cyl walls before igniting that would build up and create permanent damage, aside from ease or difficulty starting. So I didn't know how tight you had to be with that
I have never heard this which does not mean it isn't true.

On my A300 there are no glow plugs. There is an air intake heater. The heat from this or glow plugs helps the diesel fuel to ignite on initial startup. Since diesel ignites under high pressure The heat just gives it a little extra boost.

On newer machines, with a glow plug countdown timer, you will notice that the warmer the temp of the day or engine the shorter the countdown is. After stopping a machine sometimes the glow countdown will not come on at all meaning the glow plugs are not activated.

Hotrod1830

Glow plugs are not needed if you know the engine is already at operating temp.
If in doubt, hit the glow plugs. Their paid for, may as well use them. A 5 second glow will do if you have recently ran it.
On a side note, you can Usually fix the idle creep with a linkage adjustment/repair.
Keep in mind you are taxing your starter and battery by starting it every time you jump off of it and back on.

OP
OP
M

marko13

Glow plugs are not needed if you know the engine is already at operating temp.
If in doubt, hit the glow plugs. Their paid for, may as well use them. A 5 second glow will do if you have recently ran it.
On a side note, you can Usually fix the idle creep with a linkage adjustment/repair.
Keep in mind you are taxing your starter and battery by starting it every time you jump off of it and back on.
yes I saw a bit about someone adjusting creep on utube. I'm going to try to find more info and try to fix it and also get the brake to work as I get time

OP
OP
M

marko13

Here is a video on creep.

Thanks I have watched that a couple times and I'm hoping I can do what he's showing. Some of the other videos I've seen they're taking everything apart and replacing pieces so this looked a lot simpler.

Tazza

Staff member
Glow plugs are only needed if either it's too cold for it to start reliably, or if your engine has lower compression, making it harder to start.

I work for a place that reconditions diesel engines, we test run every engine we do, we start them without the need for glow plugs, Yanmar, Kubota, Shibaura, Perkins etc.

If your engine is a little lower on compression and it takes a glow in the morning to get it going, not a big deal. If you get white smoke when cranking and it just won't catch, give it a glow and try again. Once warm, you don't usually need to glow, but each engine is different, do what keeps it happy.

OP
OP
M

marko13

Glow plugs are only needed if either it's too cold for it to start reliably, or if your engine has lower compression, making it harder to start.

I work for a place that reconditions diesel engines, we test run every engine we do, we start them without the need for glow plugs, Yanmar, Kubota, Shibaura, Perkins etc.

If your engine is a little lower on compression and it takes a glow in the morning to get it going, not a big deal. If you get white smoke when cranking and it just won't catch, give it a glow and try again. Once warm, you don't usually need to glow, but each engine is different, do what keeps it happy.
thanks for that information

OP
OP
M

marko13

luckily my old trustee 743 starts like a champ every time. I typically do minimal globe plug time first thing of the day per the little chart I found on the side of the cab says 40 to 60° weather 20 seconds glow. once it's running i have not ever had to use the gold plugs.

what I still wonder about is after starting how long should I let it idol before working. It seems to be ready to go up the bat but I don't want to hurt it by not giving it a warm-up session.

And as per the creep I got it fixed back when I first got it then it was creeping to the right. It was perfect for a long time and now it creeps straight forward after 6 months or whatever it's been. I wonder if that's something that needs to be reset periodically.

brdgbldr

luckily my old trustee 743 starts like a champ every time. I typically do minimal globe plug time first thing of the day per the little chart I found on the side of the cab says 40 to 60° weather 20 seconds glow. once it's running i have not ever had to use the gold plugs.

what I still wonder about is after starting how long should I let it idol before working. It seems to be ready to go up the bat but I don't want to hurt it by not giving it a warm-up session.

And as per the creep I got it fixed back when I first got it then it was creeping to the right. It was perfect for a long time and now it creeps straight forward after 6 months or whatever it's been. I wonder if that's something that needs to be reset periodically.
Once the engine is warm glow plugs are no longer needed to start the machine.

A good rule of thumb is to let the machine warm up for about 5 minutes before use. This is mainly to let the hydraulic fluid warm a little bit.

The creep in the machine should be fixed. It really should stay good unless something slips, comes loose or brakes. Make sure everything is tight after you get it adjusted and then scribe some marks where the rods come together so the next time you can tell if they slipped and easily put them back.

Micheal

I have a 1988 743 as well.
I rebuilt the engine myself except for work on heads, polishing the journals on the crankshaft, and having the cylinder sleeves replaced with new ones. Which includes having the block deck.
Are usually give it about a 30 second glow plug warm-up and it takes two or three revolutions to start. After it's warmed up, it starts up on one to two revolutions every time.

wateka

FWIW, the 853's have an Isuzu diesel and came with a sticker showing preheat time based on the air temperature.
IMG_7507.png