Possible solution for failing Advanced Hand Controller systems

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

kilohertz

I have had my 863F series machine for about 6 years, bought it with a known AHC problem which I had fixed back then, been working mostly fine with the occasional screw up, but mostly good. Then a few weeks ago it was acting up almost every morning, tilt not curling, just dump, then flashing right light. I decided it was time to fix it for good so I started troubleshooting...again. I started by swapping the actuator wires from tilt to lift, and the problem moved to the lift function, so that proved it was not a hydraulic problem and the spools and actuators and such were all fine. Then I swapped the hand control wires and the problem stayed with the lift circuit, proving it wasn't the hand controls but either the wiring on the output side of the controller. I found the controller under the left (drivers) side frame and removed it thinking I could repair it, but once I got it out, found it was completely encapsulated in epoxy and there would be no way to repair it. Decided to clean all the connectors on both actuators and the big circular connector that goes to the controller. I thought perhaps over the years the epoxy may have absorbed some moisture so I left the controller on the dash of my truck in the sun for the day, giving it a good bake. I reassembled it that afternoon and it fired right up with no issues....YAY! Ultimate test would be the next morning after a cold overnight soak. Next morning it worked right out of the gate, no issues cold, worked all day, no glitches. It's been a week now with no problems in cold miserable wet weather, hopefully it is fixed. Just thought I would share my experience for others with similar problems. Cheers

Tazza

Staff member
Nice job, lets hope it stays fixed. It would be nice to know just what fixed it, bad connection or the car bake.

OP
OP
kilohertz

kilohertz

Nice job, lets hope it stays fixed. It would be nice to know just what fixed it, bad connection or the car bake.
Yes I wish I could know what it was as well, but here we are several weeks later and it still is glitch free. I'll try to remember to check in again in a month or so. Cheers

Tazza

Staff member
Yes I wish I could know what it was as well, but here we are several weeks later and it still is glitch free. I'll try to remember to check in again in a month or so. Cheers
I really hope it's fixed, i have never worked on a AHC machine as i hear horror stories, just glad i hear good things from time to time of people that sorted them out.

OP
OP
kilohertz

kilohertz

Good morning all,

Here we are almost a year later and the AHC tilt function has failed again, this time the tilt craps out after about one or two cycles of bucket dump. I'm heading out to the job site today to dig into it AGAIN.... really would like to put foot controls on this, getting pretty tiring dealing with constant electronics failures.

I still can't find the calibration procedure where you hold the sticks in one direction, key on/off etc. I know I had it 8 years ago when I first got the machine, but can't find it again.

Does anyone out there have the procedure you could share? AHC only, 1998 F series, just the LEDs on the left stick.

Cheers

Latest posts