Possible fuel issue asv Positrack rc85

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Tgc68

Bought a nice used ASV last year and have had lingering issues since. I'm very new to Diesel engines and skid steers. In the past I've only had older gas tractors. Anyways we've had issues with the skid steer having air in the fuel system. When we bought it the first thing we did was take it to a local mechanic. He said the fuel system was a mess. We ended up getting new water separator filter, fuel filters and all new fuel lines. We used it for several months and had zero issues except for once when we were running the skid harder then normal. Bleed the air and didn't have a problem the rest of the year. Then the skid sat in my garage all winter which is not heated. It hadn't been ran much except for a few time in the last 4 months. The times we ran it this winter everything was working as normal. Now that the weather is getting warmer we have been using it more and running into the same old issues. The machine runs great for 20-30 minutes and will just immediately die. Once the lines are bleed off it runs great again for 20-30 minutes until it all happens over again. We've checked all the filters and line which are less then a year old and can't find any air leaks or noticeable issues. Replaced the vented diesel cap with a new one today also since the old one was in really bad shape. Made no difference same story. A friend suggested we try some fuel treatment that can take care of water and bacteria in the fuel since bio diesel had been ran through it. We added treatment filled the tank and ran in through the system on high idle and now we are having all types of issues. Engine is smoking like crazy. Still getting air in the fuel lines and now it won't even start after bleeding lines. Any suggestions before taking to mechanic? Thanks

Tazza

Staff member
How far did they go with replacing lines on the fuel system? I'm thinking that the fuel pickup could be the issue, if it has a crack, it will suck in air, there is no reason for air to be drawn in to the fuel system if all joints are right and the hoses are crack free.You can always hook up a temporary fuel system, a tin of fuel for it to suck up, see if you get any air in the lines after that. if not, you know the issue is further back the line.