Parking brake sensor

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

cwc

Hi We have a old 763H with the sq lights so old, we have a traction lock problem it wont lift. If we put power to the traction lock solenoid direct it will lift and hold So what I need to know is how to test the brack sensor and the seat bar sensor before we start changing stuff Thanks in advance David in the UK

Tazza

Staff member
what are the lights doing on the bics controller?
It shows the solenoid works, it sounds like there is a problem with the seat or seat bar sensor. As mentioned above, look at the BICS box, you need to make sure all the lights light up, if one isn't, that's why its not releasing the lift lock.

bobbie-g

It shows the solenoid works, it sounds like there is a problem with the seat or seat bar sensor. As mentioned above, look at the BICS box, you need to make sure all the lights light up, if one isn't, that's why its not releasing the lift lock.
I think lots of folks have trouble with the seat sensor, and that should show up as a missing light on the BICS panel. Pesky. I've had to mess with adjusting mine a couple of times, shim with washers, etc. I also no longer use the foot switch (parking brake). It's redundant. The solenoid dropping into the toothed wheel under your feet is the brake. As long as something (BICS) gets it engaged, I don't feel I need anything else. My foot switch failed on a slope one day and I had to open up the solenoid, pull it up by hand, and put a hose clamp on it to hold it up (probably Tazza's idea!) so I could move the machine to a spot under a shade tree to work on the switch. The foot switch is not made to be disassembled, but I did it OK. Just be careful not to lose pieces. Lastly, I wouldn't advise leaving the solenoid pulled up mechanically. Just too dangerous to not use the brake. :) RC

OP
OP
cwc

cwc

I think lots of folks have trouble with the seat sensor, and that should show up as a missing light on the BICS panel. Pesky. I've had to mess with adjusting mine a couple of times, shim with washers, etc. I also no longer use the foot switch (parking brake). It's redundant. The solenoid dropping into the toothed wheel under your feet is the brake. As long as something (BICS) gets it engaged, I don't feel I need anything else. My foot switch failed on a slope one day and I had to open up the solenoid, pull it up by hand, and put a hose clamp on it to hold it up (probably Tazza's idea!) so I could move the machine to a spot under a shade tree to work on the switch. The foot switch is not made to be disassembled, but I did it OK. Just be careful not to lose pieces. Lastly, I wouldn't advise leaving the solenoid pulled up mechanically. Just too dangerous to not use the brake. :) RC
so can you just unplug the brake switch or doyou have to join the 2 wires together to make a continuas circiut David

skidsteer.ca

so can you just unplug the brake switch or doyou have to join the 2 wires together to make a continuas circiut David
David
If you mean the seat or seatbar sensor, no niether will work.
The sensors contains a magnet on one side that has to be in the correct proximity of a sensor on the other side. For the seat one many people have removed it from the seat and glued the 2 1/2s together in the correct proximity for the bics light to come on.
The one on the seat bar is the same sensor and it gets into position by rotating with the seat bar until it aligns.
If either the seat slide or seat bar pivots gets rusty or worn then the sensors are not held in the right place and quit turning the bics light on.
The only way to defeat the brake is to lift the cab, find the coil on top of the chaincase (3 big wires, held with 2 bolts) remove it, then remove the rod and parts that engage the discs in the chain case, ot pull the rod up and put a hose clamp on it to hold it up.
Ken