over charged battery now problems?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

mrbb

OK, I have a LX 865 skid steer, installed a new battery before winter, and added a battery tender(Schumacher tender via a 2 prong SAE plug) tender was showing full charge two weeks ago, (Last time I looked) today when to use skid steer, disconnected charger as alweays turn key and get super high pitch buzzer alarm sound, and ZERO lights on display, like dead display and alrm just going nuts plug tender back in, just to see status of battery as has level meter on it and it is DEAD, ZERO lights on tender, THINKING tender some how went bad? pull side panel off to access battery and test battery with volt meter, and it reads 15.35 volts, WAY over charged so now think charger over charged and maybe ruined something, but WHAT any suggestions here? dead in water at this point, and NOT the greatest MR fix it, so, any and all help appreciated!

OP
OP
M

mrbb

OK managed to get all fuses out and just replaced with all new one's as half of them had turned a whitest color that wouldn;t allow me to check fuse itself, so just scrapped old one's ONCE I replaced with new one ALL dash lights appeared to be working I attempted to start machine (battery still at 13.03 volts , checked before trying to start) machine started RIGHT up, but starter stuck for a few seconds(20-30 seconds ) then kicked off, then while idling, the display, alarm light flashing of and on, then parking brake came on and will NOT go out no matter if brake on or off! I shut motor off went and looked in manual for some idea's on things went to re start machine, and now refuses to start at all as soon as I put key to power starter TRIES to start machine, spinning slower than normal to me, but spinning starter WITHOUT me turning key to even try to start as in normal starting, it starts to try to start on its own? parking brake light keeps flashing as does temp light but will NOT start I only let it try this 3 times in a 5 minute time period with a slight break in between then I tested battery with volt meter, and its now reading 12.87 volts sitting! so battery SHOULD be strong enough to turn faster a little history on this machine, prior to this, I was having starter sticking issue's, starter would start machine fine, but would stick for a few seconds after starting, not disengaging like after starting! not knowing how old starter was on machine(but machine used) I just replaced starter, figured a new one wouldn;t hurt things minus wallet a little! so new starter a few months ago(maybe 20 hrs on machine since new starter installed) that didn;t solve issue, then replaced key switch thinking was retaining energy replaced switch, still had issue don't use machine much, and NOT the best MR fix it A buddy that repairs Heavy equipment for a living, offered to come look at things, just never got here before this new issue started he's been swamped with work and still hasn't gotten here, but says IS coming when he can , so I am looking for help in the mean time any clue what could be wrong now new fuses, battery seems to be fine, have NOT tried to swap it with a different battery YET, but did move machine a little when it did start so that can happen! now easier! why does the starter start to spin as soon as I get power to key? why does it stick once started, and why is it spinning slower than normal now, ? any thoughts or suggestion would be appreciated!

OP
OP
M

mrbb

OK managed to get all fuses out and just replaced with all new one's as half of them had turned a whitest color that wouldn;t allow me to check fuse itself, so just scrapped old one's ONCE I replaced with new one ALL dash lights appeared to be working I attempted to start machine (battery still at 13.03 volts , checked before trying to start) machine started RIGHT up, but starter stuck for a few seconds(20-30 seconds ) then kicked off, then while idling, the display, alarm light flashing of and on, then parking brake came on and will NOT go out no matter if brake on or off! I shut motor off went and looked in manual for some idea's on things went to re start machine, and now refuses to start at all as soon as I put key to power starter TRIES to start machine, spinning slower than normal to me, but spinning starter WITHOUT me turning key to even try to start as in normal starting, it starts to try to start on its own? parking brake light keeps flashing as does temp light but will NOT start I only let it try this 3 times in a 5 minute time period with a slight break in between then I tested battery with volt meter, and its now reading 12.87 volts sitting! so battery SHOULD be strong enough to turn faster a little history on this machine, prior to this, I was having starter sticking issue's, starter would start machine fine, but would stick for a few seconds after starting, not disengaging like after starting! not knowing how old starter was on machine(but machine used) I just replaced starter, figured a new one wouldn;t hurt things minus wallet a little! so new starter a few months ago(maybe 20 hrs on machine since new starter installed) that didn;t solve issue, then replaced key switch thinking was retaining energy replaced switch, still had issue don't use machine much, and NOT the best MR fix it A buddy that repairs Heavy equipment for a living, offered to come look at things, just never got here before this new issue started he's been swamped with work and still hasn't gotten here, but says IS coming when he can , so I am looking for help in the mean time any clue what could be wrong now new fuses, battery seems to be fine, have NOT tried to swap it with a different battery YET, but did move machine a little when it did start so that can happen! now easier! why does the starter start to spin as soon as I get power to key? why does it stick once started, and why is it spinning slower than normal now, ? any thoughts or suggestion would be appreciated!
also, I tried hooking up a second battery with jumper cables, and tried to start, but still no GO its reading 0 .4 volts on dash display, even with second(known good) battery connected so what would cause the low reading on dash display?

OP
OP
M

mrbb

also, I tried hooking up a second battery with jumper cables, and tried to start, but still no GO its reading 0 .4 volts on dash display, even with second(known good) battery connected so what would cause the low reading on dash display?
sorry, meant 4 VOLTS on reading NOT 0.4

Tazza

Staff member
sorry, meant 4 VOLTS on reading NOT 0.4
The sticking starter sounds like a sticky relay, if it's not releasing correctly, it will make the starter spin longer than it should. That or the terminals are welding slightly holding contact till they release, you really need this fixed or risk burning the starter up.
I'd still look at the fuses and holders. You mention white on the fuses, you did not mention the holders, if it's on one, it's on the other. You can try contact cleaner and give the sockets a good clean. You really need a good contact here.

OP
OP
M

mrbb

The sticking starter sounds like a sticky relay, if it's not releasing correctly, it will make the starter spin longer than it should. That or the terminals are welding slightly holding contact till they release, you really need this fixed or risk burning the starter up.
I'd still look at the fuses and holders. You mention white on the fuses, you did not mention the holders, if it's on one, it's on the other. You can try contact cleaner and give the sockets a good clean. You really need a good contact here.
thanks for the reply and info I did spray good contact cleaner on things to clean what it would that way and scrubbed a little to get a clean contact all fuses are good got a good battery hooked up, and still no start, but have also found the fuel pump is not powering up my repair guy will be here to correct issue's and will up date when he corrects all thing ' I did buy a new starter interlock relay so, have that on hand if needed as well as a new alternator, so, thanks and again will update when I know what actually went wrong from the tender failure and report back

Tazza

Staff member
thanks for the reply and info I did spray good contact cleaner on things to clean what it would that way and scrubbed a little to get a clean contact all fuses are good got a good battery hooked up, and still no start, but have also found the fuel pump is not powering up my repair guy will be here to correct issue's and will up date when he corrects all thing ' I did buy a new starter interlock relay so, have that on hand if needed as well as a new alternator, so, thanks and again will update when I know what actually went wrong from the tender failure and report back
You have done everything right so far, lets hope you guy can sort the issue out easily.

OP
OP
M

mrbb

You have done everything right so far, lets hope you guy can sort the issue out easily.
a little update here my repair guy has been here 3 times so far so far things that went bad, by either over charging from bad tender, or, just bad timing ?, so cannot say 100% either way, but awfully odd all these things went bad at same time IMO! things BAD< the starter relay, the starter interlock relay, , and the alternator, (waiting on a new alternator now) but have been able to get get up and running, battery is testing GOOD, and holding steady! Also found one bad connection on the back of fuse block NOT reading RPM"S now either, that is alternator related I am told SO, once new alternator gets here, and get some running in, will update again Thanks to all that offered help here, was much appreciated! but getting closer to being corrected it seems!

Tazza

Staff member
a little update here my repair guy has been here 3 times so far so far things that went bad, by either over charging from bad tender, or, just bad timing ?, so cannot say 100% either way, but awfully odd all these things went bad at same time IMO! things BAD< the starter relay, the starter interlock relay, , and the alternator, (waiting on a new alternator now) but have been able to get get up and running, battery is testing GOOD, and holding steady! Also found one bad connection on the back of fuse block NOT reading RPM"S now either, that is alternator related I am told SO, once new alternator gets here, and get some running in, will update again Thanks to all that offered help here, was much appreciated! but getting closer to being corrected it seems!
Seems like real bad luck, but i guess it can happen.
Some speed sensors are indeed powered from the alternator, hopefully your machine is one of them so the new alternator will fix that issue.

Latest posts