Omc series 1000 add parking brake or 12 volt auxiliary hydraulic system

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

ERF

I just recently got a Omc series 1000 . This machine has no parking brake system and I will be using it on uphill grades to maintain a dirt road and driveway. The machine if the engine should quit or hydraulic pump fails would free wheel the machine. I am trying to figure a system for either a parking brake or possibly putting in a back up 12 volt hydraulic system. With the back up system I was thinking of teeing off the main hydraulic lines and putting a check valve in the 12 volt system lines. Then of course putting a switch in the operating area. Any ideas or comments about either ? Just do not feel like going for a ride down hill with no way of stopping the machine The ride may be fun , but the sudden stop at the end probably will not be good.

Tazza

Staff member
I'd not like using a machine in a hill with no brake just in case as well.
If the hydraulic system is full of oil, even if the engine was to fail, the oil should stop it free wheeling in theory, it will move slowly tough. BUT if you were to burst a drive motor line, there is nothing stopping that side from free wheeling.
What were you hoping to plumb the 12v pump into? all i could think is the bucket so you can push it down to stop. Just keep in mind that a 12v pump will be very slow to fill a cylinder to make it move.

OP
OP
E

ERF

I'd not like using a machine in a hill with no brake just in case as well.
If the hydraulic system is full of oil, even if the engine was to fail, the oil should stop it free wheeling in theory, it will move slowly tough. BUT if you were to burst a drive motor line, there is nothing stopping that side from free wheeling.
What were you hoping to plumb the 12v pump into? all i could think is the bucket so you can push it down to stop. Just keep in mind that a 12v pump will be very slow to fill a cylinder to make it move.
My thoughts on the 12V pump would be to tie it into the hydraulic system with check valves to keep it out of the system unless it's needeed. In the event that the engine died and it began to free wheel the pump would be activated by switch and hopefully give the hydraulic power needed to get the machine to a level area . I am not looking for the electric pump to move the machine any distance other than to an area where it can be stopped. . The machine is old and I am in the process of getting it back in shape before using it . It runs but I have to replace an idler barring so as of now I have no way to see exactly what it would do without engine power. . Unfortunately there is not much information on the series 1000. When I picked the machine up with a flat bed tow truck the machine had to be running and " held " in place until the bed of the truck could be leveled. It does have a problem with " bypass" of hydraulics ( the bucket will slowly drop when raised ) so I know a valve (s) need to be rebuilt. The only good thing right now is I got the machine for free. ( or maybe that's not going to be a good thing in the end lol.) what I am looking for is some way to fabricate a braking system either hydraulic or mechanical

Tazza

Staff member
My thoughts on the 12V pump would be to tie it into the hydraulic system with check valves to keep it out of the system unless it's needeed. In the event that the engine died and it began to free wheel the pump would be activated by switch and hopefully give the hydraulic power needed to get the machine to a level area . I am not looking for the electric pump to move the machine any distance other than to an area where it can be stopped. . The machine is old and I am in the process of getting it back in shape before using it . It runs but I have to replace an idler barring so as of now I have no way to see exactly what it would do without engine power. . Unfortunately there is not much information on the series 1000. When I picked the machine up with a flat bed tow truck the machine had to be running and " held " in place until the bed of the truck could be leveled. It does have a problem with " bypass" of hydraulics ( the bucket will slowly drop when raised ) so I know a valve (s) need to be rebuilt. The only good thing right now is I got the machine for free. ( or maybe that's not going to be a good thing in the end lol.) what I am looking for is some way to fabricate a braking system either hydraulic or mechanical
The problem i see is plumbing into the main hydraulic system is it will only feed oil into the lift/tilt curcuit, it will not help the wheels stop unless you can dig the bucket or attachment into the ground to stop you.
I'm assuming this machine uses a vairable displacement piston pump for the drive system, if that is the case is ee issues, if not, your idea could work.
On a puston pmp setup, to tie into the drive motors will be a bit more complicated as it will reach 5,000 PSI and how the rotating group runs, i don't know if you can get the fluid to circulate how you hope to. Then, how will you control direction? as the levers alter the amount eh pistons move, generating fluid flow to the motors.
Honestly, if you are going to this much effort, could you setup some sort of hydraulic brake disc setup out of a car? I remember one model had manual brakes like this, i can't remember how it was setup though, but it's an option. I have seen trailers with hydraulic brakes that you can pull a handle to lock up, it may be something you can fabri-cobble to do the job?

T-rustyfix

If the 1000 is like the 1200, the clutches will work to stop the machine in the event of power loss or hydraulic loss. If I was on a hill and she lost power, I would push the drive handles in the uphill direction to stop the machine from rolling, and get a helper to chock the wheels. Also, the hydraulics will work whenever the engine is turning, so I have gotten out of some hairy situations by running the starter while pushing on a foot pedal to move the arms or bucket.