Older NH LS185.B - Dead battery - Raise arm??

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

dlwardell

I have an older New Holland with a dead, dead battery. Can't jump it, can't charge it, I've tried. HOW do I raise the arm to get battery out? Salesman said to hook new battery to machines battery cables with jumper cables to start. Has anyone done this? If so, advice? Thanks

Tazza

Staff member
I have jumped a dead battery before, just not on one of these machines. The biggest issue is getting enough current in there. I ended up using multiple batteries and multiple jumper cables to get the power there. It looked like a home made bomb with all those wires!
I'd hook up the biggest battery charger you have, multiples if you have them, then as many jumper cables to the good battery as you can get hold of. If you have another spare battery, use that too.
I have heard of people hooking up an external hydraulic power pack and pump it into the lift arms to get gain access too.
Good luck!

Dirtballer

What kind of charger are you using? I have used a charger with cranking amps (see link below) to start my machine numerous times with a shot battery ... but connecting a pair of quality jumper cables to a new & charged battery should work just as easily. If neither charger nor jumpers work by themselves, use the charger on the battery with jumper cables attached - all you're trying to do is put power to the starter and ignition system.
Are there other problems with the machine?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/VTG-Blue-P...669195?hash=item46a2b7dc4b:g:51MAAOSwM0Vd2mX~

flyerdan

What kind of charger are you using? I have used a charger with cranking amps (see link below) to start my machine numerous times with a shot battery ... but connecting a pair of quality jumper cables to a new & charged battery should work just as easily. If neither charger nor jumpers work by themselves, use the charger on the battery with jumper cables attached - all you're trying to do is put power to the starter and ignition system.
Are there other problems with the machine?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/VTG-Blue-Point-Snap-on-Car-Battery-Charger-Cranking-Assist-7-14-VDC-40-Amp-USA/303377669195?hash=item46a2b7dc4b:g:51MAAOSwM0Vd2mX~
If there is no way to get to the battery, or the jumping options don't work, you should be able to raise the arms by blocking the pedal in the up position and using a shop crane, another skid, or if you're lucky a forklift to raise, then pull the block so the valve holds it up.
A shop crane can be muscled into spots where other equipment can't go; it might be a slow process but it can get it done. If the arms need to go higher than the crane lifts, let the bucket drift down and lift from the lip for some extra height.

deaop06

If there is no way to get to the battery, or the jumping options don't work, you should be able to raise the arms by blocking the pedal in the up position and using a shop crane, another skid, or if you're lucky a forklift to raise, then pull the block so the valve holds it up.
A shop crane can be muscled into spots where other equipment can't go; it might be a slow process but it can get it done. If the arms need to go higher than the crane lifts, let the bucket drift down and lift from the lip for some extra height.
Jack it up high enough to get the bottom plate off. You should have access to battery from under the machine. Take positive off and jump it to get it started. Raise arm and change battery. That is what I had to do and it works. Good luck.

Pedrosotelo

I just purchased a 2007 NH LS185.B and was told it needs a new battery. Where you successfull? How did you replace it? I read somewhere that you can come in through the top and remove the manifold. Four screws and a bracket screw. Thoughts???

Mike10

I just purchased a 2007 NH LS185.B and was told it needs a new battery. Where you successfull? How did you replace it? I read somewhere that you can come in through the top and remove the manifold. Four screws and a bracket screw. Thoughts???
Certainly some interesting acrobatics required by the suggestions. Just open the rear door, open the top cover over the engine, slide the side panel out and there you are at the battery. The side panel will come out with the boom down. If the battery is shorted, you can forget about jumping it. It should be noted that there could be a jump terminal present when you open the rear door. Look on each side of the radiator for one. If one is present then you jump to that terminal.................... If the battery is shorted, then remove the battery cables. You can attempt to jump to those cables by installing 3/8" bolts into the cable ends for the jumper clamps. I use a couple of 2ft battery cables I had made so I could bolt the one end of the short cables to the machines cables and attach the other end of the short cables to a new battery. Works every time.