Oil Leak on 763 Bobcat ?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

mini

I am seeing a little bit of oil on one of the rear tire rims, it's not much but there is for sure a leak, could it be a seal on the axel? or could it be leaking from somewhere else? What would be my best way to fix this,? or find out where it's leaking I checked as best as I could for any side to side movement on the axel and it seems ok, so I think the bearings are ok, but won't know until I can check with the wheel completely off. Thanks

Tazza

Staff member
It's more than likely just a bad axle seal, these are fairly easy to change on your model machine.
First off, jack that wheel up, grab hold of it and push it in and out, if there is no play, it's just a seal, not a bearing.
If you just need to do the seal, remove the tyre, loosen the big bolt in the end of the axle a few turns. Mount a hydraulic jack behind the hub with the pump part facing down, two are even better. Pump then up against the chain case. Ensure the bolt is a few turns out, hit the head of the bolt with a large hammer till the hub pops off. You can try hitting the rear of the hub, but hitting the bolt has worked for me.
With the hub off, drill a small hole in the seal and screw in a self tapping screw and lever it out, tap in a new one, re-install the hub and bolt. Don't oil up the taper on the axle when putting the hub back on.
153_5302.jpg
153_5304.jpg

OP
OP
mini

mini

It's more than likely just a bad axle seal, these are fairly easy to change on your model machine.
First off, jack that wheel up, grab hold of it and push it in and out, if there is no play, it's just a seal, not a bearing.
If you just need to do the seal, remove the tyre, loosen the big bolt in the end of the axle a few turns. Mount a hydraulic jack behind the hub with the pump part facing down, two are even better. Pump then up against the chain case. Ensure the bolt is a few turns out, hit the head of the bolt with a large hammer till the hub pops off. You can try hitting the rear of the hub, but hitting the bolt has worked for me.
With the hub off, drill a small hole in the seal and screw in a self tapping screw and lever it out, tap in a new one, re-install the hub and bolt. Don't oil up the taper on the axle when putting the hub back on.
Thanks Tazza those photo's and your explanation is a huge help, as soon as can I'm going to check the end play again, and if it's ok I will change the seal, again thank you so much for all your help for so many of my problems Mini

7LBSSMALLIE

before you do anything else. pull the chain case plug should be level wit plug. if oil pours out back up and punt