Oil in crankcase V1702

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

jp8775

I purchase a 743 that had some milky oil I paid accordingly. I put a balloon over the radiator filler and it does not seem to be pressurised. Now I assume that the head gasket would need to be bad, but then I read that there is a freeze plug in the from of the engine under the front cover. The article said this is the most likely problem not a head gasket is that true. That would be a lot easier to fix than a head gasket. I am not getting antifreeze in the cylinders and no white smoke. Any one done a lot of of them is there a way to verify what it is and how its getting into the oil?

brdgbldr

Take a look at the parts manual. It will give you a better idea as to what is involved taking of the "front cover" (Gearcase).

There is a core plug on the front of the block. I believe it will be behind the camshaft timing gears.

OP
OP
J

jp8775

Is this common for this to be the cause of a leak? This was to first heard of this.

brdgbldr

Is this common for this to be the cause of a leak? This was to first heard of this.
I've never come across this but it sounds possible.

Depending on what material the plug is made of they can corrode over time and leak. Or a plug may not be seated or sealed properly when installed.

OP
OP
J

jp8775

Ok the only other thing would be the head gasket. I can't see anywhere else it get in the oil.

foton

a machine of this age it would not suprise me if at one time it was run with very old coolant or straight water which would possibly created corrosion issues with steel freeze plugs. like said on this machine there is only a few places they can mix. compression and leak down tests might help you narrow it down..

Cary E Sip Sr

I have a 743 w the V1702 diesel , I have 3 frost plugs on R . side of block . Am hoping to get a block heater installed some day. I'm sorry to hear of a frost plug under timing gear. Water pump pressure would only leak at around 5# s of pressure. Head gasket leak would be 150 #s or more until gasket failed , then no compression on 2 adjoining cylinders , and would definitely come out of exhaust , or not run at all

OP
OP
J

jp8775

I purchased a fresh rebuilt Thermo King refer engine complete. It was purchased wrong and a shop eneded up with it I got it for $2500. All sealed up and stored dry. Everything matches up except the oil pan so I guess I will have to swap it. I see two oil pans, the origional cast alluminum type and a stamped out steel one for less than half the price. Is there a thread dealling with swapping out thermo king engines I could not find one. I woud like not to reinvent the wheel here. I hear people do this all the time.

OP
OP
J

jp8775

Anyone know the correct part # for a 743? oil pan. I see 6668806 and 6653572 but one looks deeper. I would need about 4" depth. I am still trying to find any info on swapping out with a refer engine. Also does anyone know the Thermo king engine number that swaps?

Tazza

Staff member
I'd start by replacing the oil and run the machine and check your coolant level. If they get hot, they do crack heads, and generally coolant goes into cylinders, and not the crank case. Head gaskets can go bad, and being composite, they can fail if not re-tensioned or over heated and it is possible it can get coolant into where the push rods go.

I actually swapped out an engine and still used a pressed metal sump (i don't remember why i didn't use the cast iron one, it's been YEARS), i just made new front engine mounts that went up the side of the motor and not bolting into cast iron sump. I used the original engine mount, just welded two 2" wide metal plates to mount to the side engine mounts and to the original bracket with the rubber mounts. It worked till the day i sold the machine without issues.

Tazza

Staff member
Sadly no, i sold that machine a few years back now.

If you look at your V1702, check out the engine mount points that are drilled into the block above the sump, see where these would line up with the Bobcat mount if you take them straight down with some flat bar. Pretty sure mine just went down the side of the engine and to the original mount.