Odd parts found in Case 1840 chain case.

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Grower

Hello, this is my first message on this forum. I bought a Case 1840, average condition, 5,000 hours on it. Im a self taught mechanic and decided after having it 2 weeks, its been in the shed most of the time, it was time today to check the drive chains. One was dry and the other had about 5 gallons of water in with the oil. These problems are now being fixed. However, in one on the chain cases I happened to find a 7/16" ring spanner, a shaft about 3" long and 1" in diameter and a broken peice off one of the chains! The shaft has punched an indent into the housing under both drive sprockets, I could put a pic on of it in this forum if I knew how. The question is what is the pin off? It has a small hole in one end of it and a small bolt screwed into the other. I believe the broken chain ring will be off an old chain that was replaced as I rotated the chains full lenght and they all seem to be in order, both sides.

OP
OP
G

Grower

There was another piece found in there too, a tube also about 3" long x 3/4" dia and mangled....

matt707

The 3'' shaft could be your parking brake pin. When you raise your lap bar, there are spring loaded pins on each side that go into one of the eight holes on your front sprocket to keep the machine from moving. These pins are connected to the lap bar via cables and yokes, if the cable is broken, the pin is free and thats how it came to rest in the chain case.

OP
OP
G

Grower

The 3'' shaft could be your parking brake pin. When you raise your lap bar, there are spring loaded pins on each side that go into one of the eight holes on your front sprocket to keep the machine from moving. These pins are connected to the lap bar via cables and yokes, if the cable is broken, the pin is free and thats how it came to rest in the chain case.
Yea your'e right matt. Some clown has not only made a mess of the hand brake but they have also welded, wait for it, 1/4" plate over each handbrake hole in the chain case. Both front sprockets like they are relatively new but the RHR isnt too happy, looks like its been a half hearted effort been put in. The handbrake wont be worth fixing on it now. Both rear axle seals look like they have been put in back to front as well, they have pushed out. I will order new seals and a new rear sprocket in due course now that I know what needs fixing for next time. It came from a scrap metal yard and the 2 front tyres, which have since been replaced had 35 punctures in them. I will go and flush the chain cases out for now and refill with fresh oil. Time is the enemy for the coming autumn now, the hydraulic system is all good as is the motor. She WILL be fixed!