Nu-Air, Tracks or both

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Bandit1047

Hi Guys, First time on the Forum. I need tire and track advice. I have a Mustang 2109 that I am setting up with a forestry package. This unit has Extreme duty (very hard rubber) 14 X 17.5 tires that have no traction in dirt. This unit weighs 10,500 without any attachments. The Forestry mulcher will weigh 2500 lbs. and adding tracks can add several hundred pounds. Here are my choices, and not all may be in the budget. I can add tracks to the exsisting tires, however this means they will need to be removed when plowing snow on aphalt since 14" only come in steel. I can purchase Nu-Airs or some other airless tires in the 14 or 15 inch size and hope they do the job. I can purchase 12" Airless and if they don't work put rubber tracks on them, I am not sure they will handle the weight however? This unit will also plow snow on asphalt and concrete. I need an all year, all around "Best" set up. I also need recomendations on "Brands". Who has the best tracks or airless tires? This unit needs to be complete, ready to work buy May 2008, so if anyone knows of an ideal set up comming on the market this spring, I can wait. I will be attending the Power Show Ohio event on Jan. 25th, hope to find something that may work. Any input will be appreciated! The past posts I have read are great and very informative, you guys keep up the good work!

LIMaint

Toby Sexton Aircraft Recaps with Grousser tracks
I just went through the same upgrades on my Cat 236b. It came with the 12x16 caterpillar tires. I was doing alot of work in soft dirt and with the weight of that machine, I would find myself losing traction, getting stuck in deep mud, and just not getting the power to the ground. I also do use the machine to push snow, and on pavement. Not wanting to constatly remove tracks and re-insall them I went with the Mclaren's with the rubber shoe. It worked great untill I kept breaking the bead on the tires. Each manufacturer blamed the other and I bought a set of Nu-airs. it was that or get stuck with a set of tracks that I cant use, or foam filled tires. I installed them and put 4hrs on them. No flats to worry about, and it provides great floatation. My machine with the added weight of the tires/Tracks and no problems in sand so far or up an inline in sand. Thats pretty good floatation and traction. I'd go with that set up. Nick

OP
OP
B

Bandit1047

I just went through the same upgrades on my Cat 236b. It came with the 12x16 caterpillar tires. I was doing alot of work in soft dirt and with the weight of that machine, I would find myself losing traction, getting stuck in deep mud, and just not getting the power to the ground. I also do use the machine to push snow, and on pavement. Not wanting to constatly remove tracks and re-insall them I went with the Mclaren's with the rubber shoe. It worked great untill I kept breaking the bead on the tires. Each manufacturer blamed the other and I bought a set of Nu-airs. it was that or get stuck with a set of tracks that I cant use, or foam filled tires. I installed them and put 4hrs on them. No flats to worry about, and it provides great floatation. My machine with the added weight of the tires/Tracks and no problems in sand so far or up an inline in sand. Thats pretty good floatation and traction. I'd go with that set up. Nick
Thanks for the info! Have you had a chance to use the rubber tracks on snow? If so, how did they perform? Joe

LIMaint

Thanks for the info! Have you had a chance to use the rubber tracks on snow? If so, how did they perform? Joe
We haven't had much snow, but they worked well in the big 2inch storm that came through. I like the rubber shoes because they dont gough the pavement.

cyclist

We haven't had much snow, but they worked well in the big 2inch storm that came through. I like the rubber shoes because they dont gough the pavement.
Now that you've had the NuAirs & McLaren Rubber Tracks on for a few months & had time to really evaluate them, what is your opinion? Thanks

LIMaint

Now that you've had the NuAirs & McLaren Rubber Tracks on for a few months & had time to really evaluate them, what is your opinion? Thanks
I think the combo is a bit expensive, but there is no alternative. Tire/wheel have a good amount of "bounce" in them, not overly firm. The tracks are good, they have great floation and dont gouge the pavement. They do leave dark black skuff marks and parts of the pads have worn and broken off but that is limited to one or two pads per side. It took me a while to learn how to put them on and take them off. One note, if you're on muddy clay and it gets between the tire and tracks the tires will spin within the tracks. Overall, I am about 90% satisfied.