No start on John Deere 323E Suspect Suction Control Valve Or High Pressure Pump

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

bobcatguy

I recently sold a machine to a customer and when he got home it ran for a few minutes and shut off. I'm sure the fuel gelled. I had added Howes to the tank prior to loading the machine but he added fuel when he got home and did not add any anti gel. So now that the back story is complete, he put a tarp over the machine and had the coolant temp registering in the mid 40's, he tried to start the machine but it hasn't fired since it shut down. The strange thing is, there are no fuel pressure codes in the machine. I tried to help him get the machine started but couldn't get it going. Based on what I was seeing I figure the Suction Control Valve which acts as the fuel regulator for the high pressure pump is bad or somehow he lost the high pressure pump. I paid a Deere tech to come out and diagnose the problem but ultimately he is guessing as to whether it's the SCV or the HPFP. He was going to change the SCV but charge me for the valve EVEN IF THIS DIDN'T FIX THE PROBLEM. The trouble is Deere wants $1000 for the SCV and $4000 for the HPFP. I have done a CONSIDERABLE amount of searching after getting the Bosch part number from the fuel pump and found a Bosch part number for the suction control valve. I'm buying a SCV from the UK for about $200 USD shipped. The HPFP Bosch part number is 0-445-020-509. The suction control valve for this Bosch pump from what I'm finding is 0-928-400-800 which crosses to a 1462C00983 The pump and valve are common on European diesel cars and Yanmar diesel engines which is what the 323E switched to somewhere in 2013/2014. I'll post back letting you know if the SCV fixes the issue or if I have to get the HPFP. If I buy the HPFP I'll be sourcing it from Europe as well because I can get one shipped for $2000 rather than the $4000 Deere wants.

OP
OP
B

bobcatguy

So to update: After paying the tech to come out and guess, I went ahead and changed the suction control valve that I sourced from the UK. That didn't fix the problem. The next best guess by the tech is that the high pressure pump is bad. Now wouldn't someone think that a Deere technician could do better than guess as to which part is the problem? I'm now looking into the Pressure Relieve Valve on the high pressure fuel rail. As I understand it, if the PRV sticks open which is fairly common on some diesel trucks, it can cause the same no start situation because the rail can't build pressure. Now mind you the tech was there, saw that it wasn't building pressure and immediately went to the SCV or HPFP without doing any sort of verification as to whether the relief valve was bypassing fuel. I'm not sure why I paid them. I will report back.

Tazza

Staff member
So to update: After paying the tech to come out and guess, I went ahead and changed the suction control valve that I sourced from the UK. That didn't fix the problem. The next best guess by the tech is that the high pressure pump is bad. Now wouldn't someone think that a Deere technician could do better than guess as to which part is the problem? I'm now looking into the Pressure Relieve Valve on the high pressure fuel rail. As I understand it, if the PRV sticks open which is fairly common on some diesel trucks, it can cause the same no start situation because the rail can't build pressure. Now mind you the tech was there, saw that it wasn't building pressure and immediately went to the SCV or HPFP without doing any sort of verification as to whether the relief valve was bypassing fuel. I'm not sure why I paid them. I will report back.
Surely they could have installed a gauge or something to get a real answer rather than just guess....

OP
OP
B

bobcatguy

Surely they could have installed a gauge or something to get a real answer rather than just guess....
The new common rail systems run on EXTREMELY high pressure. Just to fire it needs somewhere around 2000 psi. It operates around 6000 psi but can go as high as 26,000 psi. Hard to check the pump under that kind of pressure. I guess they're changing the high pressure fuel pump. I was told if the pressure relief is stuck open and you pinch off the fuel return line, it will pop the return line off when pressure builds. I was told this was tested. I hope for the sake of my customer this fixes the problem.

Biblecat

The new common rail systems run on EXTREMELY high pressure. Just to fire it needs somewhere around 2000 psi. It operates around 6000 psi but can go as high as 26,000 psi. Hard to check the pump under that kind of pressure. I guess they're changing the high pressure fuel pump. I was told if the pressure relief is stuck open and you pinch off the fuel return line, it will pop the return line off when pressure builds. I was told this was tested. I hope for the sake of my customer this fixes the problem.
How did the fuel problem work out for your costumer? i have a 319d and it is not pumping fuel was woundering if it could have some similer issues