NH LX565 Engine Preheater Not Working

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

rdonarski

I have a 1999 NH LX565. The engine preheater has quit working. When I turn the key on, it counts down same as always, but does not heat. I'm thinking it's either the relay switch or glow plugs (although I can't imagine all the glow plugs are bad). There is also a 50A circuit breaker. Anyone had any experience with this system? Also, how do I test a glow plug to see if it's bad? Thanks in advance for your help.

foton

disconnect the power lead to each glow plug , use your VOM and set it to OHMs x1 ,short the leads together and zero meter if it is analog, read it if it is digital , it should be 0 or almost 0. go to ground with one lead the other lead from where you pulled the wire from on the glow plug you should read no more that around 3 ohms of resistance, if any more replace glow plug. they can be removed from engine if you wish to do this test and add never sieze to threads is a good thing too. If one is bad I would replace them all and save the good ones as spares just in case. they usally are not that pricy.

OP
OP
R

rdonarski

Thanks for your response. I checked to glow plugs and they all tested fine. Have to wait for it to cool down overnight to check further. Fortunately, it has a block heater, so I can warn it up with that to start it.

Ivan

Thanks for your response. I checked to glow plugs and they all tested fine. Have to wait for it to cool down overnight to check further. Fortunately, it has a block heater, so I can warn it up with that to start it.
I would no t buy them from NH unless you have very dep pockets. Take to an auto supply and they should be able to fix you up. I replaced mine and one glow plug from NH was more than I paid for all 4. Another way to check them was shown to me by aNH mahinc that was in his 60's. Take them out and hook pos wire to the screw end and then touch the neg wire to the side of the plug. The tip should glow. Be sure not to touch any part of it and it gets hot. May not be the correct way but it does work

Ivan

What is your compression on each cyl

OP
OP
R

rdonarski

My compression better be fine. The machine only has 750 hrs on it and I've run Amsoil Marine Diesel Oil in it since day one. I know.....there's never any guarantees. I had my wife come out to the shop this morning to help me check things. Turns out I have 12V going to each glow plug at exactly the right time. I'm going to take a shot that I screwed up testing the glow plugs. Ordered some glow plugs.

oakie 1

cant get the cyclinder that rolls the bucket off of the boom took bolt and and cant remove it lx565 new holland

Latest posts