NH L425 VH4D Wisconsin Engine replacement - Drop-in?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

brcidd

My 1978 model L425 engine has started to really blow a lot of oil smoke out the crankcase vent- it leaves a smoke trail bad. I know these engines are obsoleted- and rebuilding probably not worth it. So has anyone replaced this engine with a new drop-in. I found one listed for $2k - a Briggs and Stratten- but it is only 23 hp, while my VH4D is listed at 30 hp. The salesman says it is made to work in my loader. What is your opinion? What is the best route to take. I can't afford any other skid steers, in fact, I have the exact same model, also with a blown engine, that I use for parts for mine. I have already changed out a pump and some other items. I have animal Ranch and can't go very long without a skid steer. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks to all who answer.

ml78

My 1978 model L425 engine has started to really blow a lot of oil smoke out the crankcase vent- it leaves a smoke trail bad. I know these engines are obsoleted- and rebuilding probably not worth it. So has anyone replaced this engine with a new drop-in. I found one listed for $2k - a Briggs and Stratten- but it is only 23 hp, while my VH4D is listed at 30 hp. The salesman says it is made to work in my loader. What is your opinion? What is the best route to take. I can't afford any other skid steers, in fact, I have the exact same model, also with a blown engine, that I use for parts for mine. I have already changed out a pump and some other items. I have animal Ranch and can't go very long without a skid steer. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks to all who answer.
I'm curious what you ended up doing, I have the same skid steer with the same engine, it's never run great but now it barely moves and was thinking of dropping another engine in.

foton

I would evaluate the blown engine and possibly rebuild it, parts for the Wisconsin are still available and they are heavily built industrial engine, much more engine than a briggs. I have a bobcat that is fitted with a smaller gas engine (18 hp instead of 24 hp) and you can tell in turns, but it works, so it is better than nothing. just the other day I saw a vh4d in a scrap yard ,maybe pick up another and take two to make one while you still use your machine as is.