NH L220 Keyless Troubleshoot.

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

AdvancedElectronics

G'mornin' from Maine!
New guy to the forum here. Electronics shop in northern Maine. Been recieving more and more controls and instruments from local farmers and wood processing companies lately, figured I would join the forum.
Most recent work is on a NH L220 SS with a keyless control panel. Control panel and machine are dead in the water. No response from the unit when operator sits in the seat per usual. Verified functioning seat switch. Verified 12v at seat switch back to 4 pin harness behind seat. All fuses are intact. All relays are well seated. Control panel on right column has 12v at red wire pin 9 in harness on the back of the unit. Curious about "wake up" voltage and associated diode I've been reading about. Any and all help is much appreciated.
-Thanks in advance!

New here also. Sounds like we are having similar problems. I have a 2013 NH L218. No power on the instrument cluster. I ordered a refurbed cluster still no power. I have replaced all relays and checked fuses. Interestingly when I have the cluster unplugged I get 12v at the ignition switch, the seat belt switch, and the seat pressure switch. As soon as I plug in either of my clusters I can only get 3v at ignition , seat belt , and seat pressure switch. I have power showing up almost everywhere I just cant get it to power up the cluster. I have 12v constant on one pin in the harness to the cluster and 12v on another when the seat pressure switch is activated. I have found one diode under the cab on the left side of the machine in the wiring harness and another behind the instrument cluster wiring harness behind the pillar. I have found a rubbed white wire below the harness that seems to be connected to the diode behind the cluster. I am hoping changing the diode will make a difference. It seems like something isn't being activated to bring the cluster to life but i don't know what it is. I am not sure how many other diodes are in the system... I have attempted to test the diodes and i believe it is testing bad.

The trouble started slow and progressively got worse. I thought the seat pressure sensor was going out, but i have replaced that and it didnt fix the occasional problem.

Final straw was i had it running and had not unlocked the hydraulics and bumped one of the handles and stalled the engine. It started back up for a second and flashed a low voltage indicator and shutdown. Hasn't come back on since.

I am wondering if the rubbed wire has caused the diode to fail.

Just thought i would share in case it gave you any ideas on what to do with your machine. Let me know if you figure anything out.

OP
OP
A

AdvancedElectronics

Thankful to see someone else is having a similar experience. Owner ordered a replacement control panel as advised by local New Holland tech. Will keep you posted.

Thankful to see someone else is having a similar experience. Owner ordered a replacement control panel as advised by local New Holland tech. Will keep you posted.
Sounds good, I will post the results of my diode replacement when complete. My local NH Tech also recommended replacing the cluster. Kind of an expensive part to throw at it if it doesn't fix it. My cost be about $700 refurbed.

vale4494

Haven't tried much yet, trying to identify what is wrong, I am going to OHM my diodes tonight and see it they look ok. did you replace a diode? I am also going to remove the seat plate and see if I can see anything under the cab. I have not unhooked my battery for long enough to reset the ECU so i will do that. Do you know of a way I can either disable the parking brake so i can pull it to the workshop or lift the boom to tilt the cab? My machine stopped running right in the middle of the yard.

Yeah I replaced a couple diodes that I found.. it didn't solve anything. I found a rubbed wire behind the cluster in the harness that probably has caused some issues. Still hasn't come back to life yet though. Hopefully the tech has some suggestions. I have a feeling there is a bad or corroded splice somewhere I just don't know how to track it down. Have you checked your voltage at the seatbelt connection or the seat pressure switch with the cluster connected and disconnected?? I get a huge voltage drop when the cluster is connected.

As far as raising the bucket to get the cab up you will have to have another piece of equipment to raise the boom probably with the lines to the cylinders broke loose. Not sure about the parking brake

vale4494

I have 12.5 volts to the seat pressure switch with the cluster attached. I didn't check it with the cluster detached. i have a lap bar but haven't looked at it much because the machine should still start with the lap bar up. I am cleaning all the grounds as i see them but i don't think that is the issue. Please let me know what the tech says.