Newb questions

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

chase37

Can Lucas hydraulic oil booster & stop leak be used in an old M371 with out damaging the clutch disks? The unit has excess of 25000 hours and was sitting for a few years before I acquired it. After getting it functioning again one of the wheel seals has started leaking. At this point I don't want to invest a lot of money into repairs before I found how sound the machine is. I was planning on changing the chain case oil with Rotella 15W40 and adding the Lucas. Is this a good course of action or will I cause more damage than good? Thanks for any info.

Tazza

Staff member
Hmm, No replies at all.
I'm not sure i would, i never thought they would work. I think people have success on engines as they heat up and get the rubber moving again... I always rather just replace the seals, i know its not always very easy.

skidsteer.ca

I'm not sure i would, i never thought they would work. I think people have success on engines as they heat up and get the rubber moving again... I always rather just replace the seals, i know its not always very easy.
The 371 is a clutch machine and you don't wan't to run motor oil in the chain case because you will ruin your clutches. The chain cases gets ATF even though it is used by the hydraulic pump. I doubt those products will help with the leaks, just put up with them until you can test it out some imo.
Skidsteer.ca

OP
OP
C

chase37

The 371 is a clutch machine and you don't wan't to run motor oil in the chain case because you will ruin your clutches. The chain cases gets ATF even though it is used by the hydraulic pump. I doubt those products will help with the leaks, just put up with them until you can test it out some imo.
Skidsteer.ca
The factory manual says to used 10w30 in the chain case. I have never heard of running motor oil in a wet clutch but thats what the manuls says. So I don't really know.

OP
OP
C

chase37

The factory manual says to used 10w30 in the chain case. I have never heard of running motor oil in a wet clutch but thats what the manuls says. So I don't really know.
Service manual part# 6545574(2-84) Page 58 "When it becomes necessary to replace or add fluid to maintain reservoir level, use 10W-30 or 10W-40, API Class SE, motor oil." Under capacities on page 57 "Hydraulic reservoir & final drive case.. 7gal"

skidsteer.ca

Service manual part# 6545574(2-84) Page 58 "When it becomes necessary to replace or add fluid to maintain reservoir level, use 10W-30 or 10W-40, API Class SE, motor oil." Under capacities on page 57 "Hydraulic reservoir & final drive case.. 7gal"
Ok it seems I stand corrected, the one I had had atf in it, but I never had a manual for the machine so I just kept using the same. To me it just seemed to make sence, sorry for the error.
Ken

Jyuma

Ok it seems I stand corrected, the one I had had atf in it, but I never had a manual for the machine so I just kept using the same. To me it just seemed to make sence, sorry for the error.
Ken
Maybe I'm way out in left field on this one but if wet clutches follow the universal laws of lubrication (is there such a thing? hehehe) then motor oil is the way to go. I've been riding a wet clutch motorcycle since 1982 and not only does it take regular crankcase motor oil... it "is" the crankcase motor oil. I change the oil on a regular basis and I've never had a clutch problem.
Don't know if that means Jack Squat for old loaders but for motorcycles it's just fine.
emotion-11.gif

OldMachinist

Maybe I'm way out in left field on this one but if wet clutches follow the universal laws of lubrication (is there such a thing? hehehe) then motor oil is the way to go. I've been riding a wet clutch motorcycle since 1982 and not only does it take regular crankcase motor oil... it "is" the crankcase motor oil. I change the oil on a regular basis and I've never had a clutch problem.
Don't know if that means Jack Squat for old loaders but for motorcycles it's just fine.
My 1947 Case SC tractor has a wet clutch and it also uses the engine crankcase oil.

OP
OP
C

chase37

My 1947 Case SC tractor has a wet clutch and it also uses the engine crankcase oil.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not here to prove anyone wrong or right. I am just trying to find a lazy way to fix a problem. My Bobcat will be used as a hobby/toy, so I would much rather not have to spend a lot on it.

skidsteer.ca

Don't get me wrong, I'm not here to prove anyone wrong or right. I am just trying to find a lazy way to fix a problem. My Bobcat will be used as a hobby/toy, so I would much rather not have to spend a lot on it.
I hear you but it is hard to know if the lucas additve will cause the clutches to slip easier or not.
If you add it and the clutches have to be more forcefully engaged by hold the steering sticks harder to make the machine push then you will know I guess.
Is the problem mostly how much it leaks while parked? Perhaps you can elevate that corner on a block etc so it does not sit and leak all your oil out. I would also be looking for a in expensive motor oil.
Ken

jmatt20

I hear you but it is hard to know if the lucas additve will cause the clutches to slip easier or not.
If you add it and the clutches have to be more forcefully engaged by hold the steering sticks harder to make the machine push then you will know I guess.
Is the problem mostly how much it leaks while parked? Perhaps you can elevate that corner on a block etc so it does not sit and leak all your oil out. I would also be looking for a in expensive motor oil.
Ken
best bet call lucas ...they usually have a tech question ph number on the container....i used the nimber on the castroll container for oil info ..the guy was all over my question with tech info ..wouldn't hardly let me off the phone he wanted so badly to make sure he answered all of my questions .

Latest posts