New to the site

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

jesnic

I am new on this site. I have acquired a NH LX865. It was swamped when a river overflowed it's banks about 5 years ago, I know the water was over the top of the machine for at least a day before the water drained back into the banks. The machine has not been started or fooled with since then. I winched it onto my trailer and brought it home and now am in the process of removing the covers, washing out the sand and junk and trying to remove as much rust as possible. I have removed the radiator (still full of antifreeze), removed the hydraulic cooling tank (still full of oil), and removed the injectors. I poured some diesel oil and trans fluid in the injector holes and now am able to spin the crank fairly easily with a ratchet. The alternator is shot, belt shot, possibly starter is bad also. Battery is junk. Good news: Oil in the engine is nice and black, no water in the oil. Hydraulic tank is full of hydraulic fluid, no water in tank. I have ordered a new EIC board just to hook up and see what sensors are bad and what lights up. I removed the wires from the battery and used jumper cables to a good battery. I turn the key to start, just to get the engine to turn over, and I can hear a relay clicking on the engine panel. Just trying to get the engine to turn before I start buying everything needed to make it operable. I will purchase the manuals, as soon as I can determine that the engine will operate. Right now, the arms are in the down position and I can't raise them to change the battery or the starter. The pedals are locked tight and the hand joystick is locked. I can move the sticks forward and back but nothing else. Was thinking I could push the pedals or the joystick and then lift the arms with a floor jack to get access to the starter and battery. I plan on changing all the fluids and filters. But first I want to make sure the machine is worth spending the money. Any suggestions on freeing the hydraulics and getting the engine to spin under it's own power?

Mike10

The foot pedals are mechanically locked by the solenoids on the control valve spools. In a properly operating system you sit in the seat and the instrument panels lights up and goes through a self test. All the lights will then go out except for the seat belt and park brake light. Fastening the seat belt will turn the seat belt light off. At that point if you turn the ignition switch on the foot pedals should be free........If you remove the top pin on the lift cylinders you can then raise the boom with another loader. Raise high enough to engage the boom locks......The single click is the cold start relay.....Oil floats on top of water. Remove engine drain plug and see if water comes out.

OP
OP
J

jesnic

The foot pedals are mechanically locked by the solenoids on the control valve spools. In a properly operating system you sit in the seat and the instrument panels lights up and goes through a self test. All the lights will then go out except for the seat belt and park brake light. Fastening the seat belt will turn the seat belt light off. At that point if you turn the ignition switch on the foot pedals should be free........If you remove the top pin on the lift cylinders you can then raise the boom with another loader. Raise high enough to engage the boom locks......The single click is the cold start relay.....Oil floats on top of water. Remove engine drain plug and see if water comes out.
Thanks for the info! I drained the oil in the engine today and about 2 gallons of water came out before the oil started flowing. I removed the starter and got it freed up. Reinstalled the starter, filled with oil and used the starter to spin the motor over a few times until oil came out the filter hole. I will drain the hydraulic fluid in next couple days along with the fuel and replace with fresh oil and fuel. Replace the filters and alternator, belt, EIC board and go from there. There is oil of some type in the bell housing and the pumps. Not sure what type it is or how to drain it yet. I will be ordering the manuals tomorrow and the other parts I need.

Latest posts