new tires

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

merlynr

Newer operator of a used S185 with foam filled slick tires and it spins very easily. I stopped at the Bobcat dealer and was asking questions about tires and after answering a few questions about usage etc, he suggested swapping my tires and wheels for recapped tires. If my tires are recapable and the wheels are ok the price seems reasonable. He showed me examples of tires that weren't recapable and mine are in good shape just no tread left. Is this a good way to go for someone who isn't doing a lot of work with the machine? Price is under $250 each. I'll just remove them and haul to dealer.

antfarmer2

I have found tires on ebay for $525.00 for all four with free shipppig the problem you have is the foam fill and how hard it is to get the old tires off I would take one to a tire shop and let them tell you

Stephend

I am near Tusla Ok. I had a set of foam filled tires that were worn totally out and needed to replace them. I searched far and wide and found a commerical shop that foan filled tires. They cut the foam off for 25 a wheel. i was going to go back with regular air filled tires but then i went back with foam filled. the total cost with cutting off old foam tires, new tires,and filling with foam was about 1400. it is really nice not having to worry about flats. i was my skid steer with a tree shear to cut cedars. the ground is rough and the thought of having a flat deep in the woods is not pleasent. the foam filled tires came on the skid steer and lasted 10 years. the new ones i got should last the same. Works out to about 140 per year.

antfarmer2

I am near Tusla Ok. I had a set of foam filled tires that were worn totally out and needed to replace them. I searched far and wide and found a commerical shop that foan filled tires. They cut the foam off for 25 a wheel. i was going to go back with regular air filled tires but then i went back with foam filled. the total cost with cutting off old foam tires, new tires,and filling with foam was about 1400. it is really nice not having to worry about flats. i was my skid steer with a tree shear to cut cedars. the ground is rough and the thought of having a flat deep in the woods is not pleasent. the foam filled tires came on the skid steer and lasted 10 years. the new ones i got should last the same. Works out to about 140 per year.
Filled tires are great for flats but can be rough on you and your drive system

OP
OP
M

merlynr

Filled tires are great for flats but can be rough on you and your drive system
I think I'm going to give the recaps a try as I haven't heard anything bad about them plus I'm not that hard on the running gear, but I've only put 5 hrs on it since Jan.

OP
OP
M

merlynr

Do they recap yours on the rim?
My understanding is they take my rims as a trade and I get different Bobcat rims with new recapped foamed-filled tires. The rims are also inspected at the time of the deal and are either good or rejected. I will inspect the new tires and rims as well.

OP
OP
M

merlynr

My understanding is they take my rims as a trade and I get different Bobcat rims with new recapped foamed-filled tires. The rims are also inspected at the time of the deal and are either good or rejected. I will inspect the new tires and rims as well.
Update I got the recapped tires yesterday and I rejected one of the recapped tires because of sidewall area I didn't like. It was repaired on the sidewall near the tread with a loose piece of rubber that you could grab with your fingers. The guy assured me it was fine but got another one instead. My tires and rims passed inspection and got full credit for swap and the difference was about $975.