New tires

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

newhollandnut

Well I just finshed putting on my new tires. It has made the skid steer a new unit. On another note I have never had that much trouble putting tires on anything. What a pain in the ass. It took 9 hours and my dad and I. I had to use starting fluid on all of them. Dont try this at home. Let the tire shop do it.

Earthwerks Unlimited

Why did you start another thread when you already had one going on the same subject? (9 hours? I can dismount a tire, fix it and remount it, and put it back on the machine in about 30 minutes. I use only two crow bars and do it by myself. The key is standing on the bead to get it go past the inside of the rim which is funnel shaped--the back side doesn't have this shape. And forget about the starting fluid. Use a commercial 2" ratchet strap around the tread. It has to be centered over the tread all the way around. Tighten as a much as possible by hand. Use a heavy sledge hammer to pound-out out any bulges where the strap is on the tread---usually where the hook ends go together or where the ratchet binder is. Put about 10-20 psi in, use a piece of wood or something to disengage or release the ratchet strap AND LOOK OUT because it is under a lot of pressure and will fly off under the right conditions. Continue filling with air. This works on pretty much any tire except those that the tread will not compress like on big equipment. This is good to know if you have car tire trouble too. Works great on ATV and trailer tires too.

Tazza

Staff member
Why did you start another thread when you already had one going on the same subject? (9 hours? I can dismount a tire, fix it and remount it, and put it back on the machine in about 30 minutes. I use only two crow bars and do it by myself. The key is standing on the bead to get it go past the inside of the rim which is funnel shaped--the back side doesn't have this shape. And forget about the starting fluid. Use a commercial 2" ratchet strap around the tread. It has to be centered over the tread all the way around. Tighten as a much as possible by hand. Use a heavy sledge hammer to pound-out out any bulges where the strap is on the tread---usually where the hook ends go together or where the ratchet binder is. Put about 10-20 psi in, use a piece of wood or something to disengage or release the ratchet strap AND LOOK OUT because it is under a lot of pressure and will fly off under the right conditions. Continue filling with air. This works on pretty much any tire except those that the tread will not compress like on big equipment. This is good to know if you have car tire trouble too. Works great on ATV and trailer tires too.
I let my mad mate at a tyre shop do mine, sooo much easier.
In the past i have changed tyres on my own, i seem to damage it a little though so i avoid it as much as possible. If using a tube its fine, but i tend to pinch a bit of the bead when i try and do it at home.
The ratchet strap is awesome, i had a problem with tyres not seating on the bead and refused to pump up, hook the strap around it and presto! I agree to watch out when you release it, they come off pretty fast!

OP
OP
N

newhollandnut

Earthwerks, I'm sorry I didn't realize that is was improper to start another thread on putting tires on. My last thread was about recommendations for what kind of tires to buy, not how I had trouble putting them on. It took 9 hours because the tires that had to come off where industrial 16 ply tires and the new tires would not seat on the rim. I used a strap and it did not work. I have a tire machine and it would not work. The starting fluid was a last resort. I am not a idiot I have farmed all my life and have ran a family body shop for the past 12 years, so I consider myself a mechanically minded person. I doubt very seriously that you could have changed all 4 tires (the same tires I changed) in less than 2 hours. But maybe you're just that good. If so the next time they need changing I will gladly pay you to do it.

Tazza

Staff member
Earthwerks, I'm sorry I didn't realize that is was improper to start another thread on putting tires on. My last thread was about recommendations for what kind of tires to buy, not how I had trouble putting them on. It took 9 hours because the tires that had to come off where industrial 16 ply tires and the new tires would not seat on the rim. I used a strap and it did not work. I have a tire machine and it would not work. The starting fluid was a last resort. I am not a idiot I have farmed all my life and have ran a family body shop for the past 12 years, so I consider myself a mechanically minded person. I doubt very seriously that you could have changed all 4 tires (the same tires I changed) in less than 2 hours. But maybe you're just that good. If so the next time they need changing I will gladly pay you to do it.
So what was the problem? they wouldn't sit on the bead to take air rite?
I assume the starting fluid is when you give it a bit of a snort and ignite it to get it to puff out? I think i have heard of this a few years back, i had actually forgoten about it which is probably a good thing as i may have been tempted to use it when i had problems seating a bead.

OP
OP
N

newhollandnut

So what was the problem? they wouldn't sit on the bead to take air rite?
I assume the starting fluid is when you give it a bit of a snort and ignite it to get it to puff out? I think i have heard of this a few years back, i had actually forgoten about it which is probably a good thing as i may have been tempted to use it when i had problems seating a bead.
The tires that where on the unit where very heavy duty, the side walls where almost 1 inch thick and had been on the skid steer for a long time. Taking them off the rim was the biggest part of the time. The tires that where shipped to me had been laying on there side for god knows how long. That causes the inside of the tire to fall inward making the bead part 4" wide going onto a 12"rim. I could not get the tire to expand enough to meet the rim. I used everything straps, tire changer and both. I have never had that much trouble. I found that if I put the 2" strap on the tire and used the starting fluid after about after 2 cans I could get it to seat. I dont know if every one has this much trouble but I doubt it. It was a long day and I just needed to vent.

skidsteer.ca

The tires that where on the unit where very heavy duty, the side walls where almost 1 inch thick and had been on the skid steer for a long time. Taking them off the rim was the biggest part of the time. The tires that where shipped to me had been laying on there side for god knows how long. That causes the inside of the tire to fall inward making the bead part 4" wide going onto a 12"rim. I could not get the tire to expand enough to meet the rim. I used everything straps, tire changer and both. I have never had that much trouble. I found that if I put the 2" strap on the tire and used the starting fluid after about after 2 cans I could get it to seat. I dont know if every one has this much trouble but I doubt it. It was a long day and I just needed to vent.
Usually the strap idea woks pretty good, I generally stop at as little pressure as possible, once the bead touches and the air quits hissing out I stop and release the strap, there will still be massive force on it. I have never had as much trouble as you did, but without the strap I don't think I'd ever get one on. I have never had to try this on skidsteer tires, but sometimes on car tires I have lay the tire on its side, reached through and pounded the one bead partially on until it sticks, then suspended the tire on a couple blocks and pressed the rim down while inflating.
I have used either in the past on truck tires, It works best if you put the can in 120 degree or so water to warm it up, takes a lot less either to get the results, makes its puff rather then just flame, Have a propane torch or such to touch it off, the longer the handle the better. Now I buy Michelins, they just pump right up.
Obviously you do this at your own risk, as some people have been serious hurt. Spending money is always safer then getting dirty, but some has to get the job done.
Ken

Earthwerks Unlimited

Usually the strap idea woks pretty good, I generally stop at as little pressure as possible, once the bead touches and the air quits hissing out I stop and release the strap, there will still be massive force on it. I have never had as much trouble as you did, but without the strap I don't think I'd ever get one on. I have never had to try this on skidsteer tires, but sometimes on car tires I have lay the tire on its side, reached through and pounded the one bead partially on until it sticks, then suspended the tire on a couple blocks and pressed the rim down while inflating.
I have used either in the past on truck tires, It works best if you put the can in 120 degree or so water to warm it up, takes a lot less either to get the results, makes its puff rather then just flame, Have a propane torch or such to touch it off, the longer the handle the better. Now I buy Michelins, they just pump right up.
Obviously you do this at your own risk, as some people have been serious hurt. Spending money is always safer then getting dirty, but some has to get the job done.
Ken
Ken keep in mind that skid steer rims don't have what is called a "safety bead" which helps keep the tire on at speed like a car tire. As I'm sure you know, on a SS tire once you lose a little pressure--it usually comes right off--like it or not! Since I run tracks, I have destroyed plenty of sidewalls with the track cutting through them. This is due to swinging around and catching a root or rock buried in the ground with the track which just bumps the tire off the rim enough to "burp" some air then it goes flat. To relieve that, I put tubes in which keep constant pressure inside up against the rim so that I don't get any... buuuuurping---welll...'xcuse meee!