New Skid Steer GEHL 4840 (First time owner) -Engine Burns oil HELP

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

NoBiffBetter

Hey guys so I'm brand new to skidsteers but have been a vehicle mechanic most my life and work on equipment for a living at my job but never worked on a skidsteer before. I got this skidsteer used for $3,500 which I figured was a smoking deal even with the problems. Mostly it just needs cosmetic work which I am currently working on but my main concern is that it's burning engine oil, the engine constantly has a whitish/blue smoke that happens on start up but quickly dissipates after its warm but even after its warm it constantly will have a very small smoke cloud that looks blue/white.. more so white with a tint of blue, I can smell a VERY heavy oil smell coming from the exhaust to the point where if I stand behind it for just a minute my cloths will reek like burned oil/diesel. So far I have changed the fuel filter and filled it up with straight seafoam to clean the injectors, injector pumps, cylinders, valves, and hopefully to help free the rings up a bit. I also changed the hydraulic oil and filter. I will be doing an engine oil and filter change today as the current oil inside it is very dark and the previous owner said it sat for a few years so before he started it he added a quart and a half of transmission fluid to help clean things out but never changed the oil afterwords.. I'm HOPING that having some of this thin trans fluid inside the engine it why it's smoking/smelling so badly. When I change the engine oil and filter tonight I will also be adding a can of "Restore" to the engine, Iv heard really good things about the restore and it's not super thick like motor honey. Basically if this doesn't help it to stop burning oil I'm looking for clues as to where to look next, this skidsteer has a 4cyl naturally aspirated (Deutz) oil cooled engine.. being that it's oil cooled and smoking the way it is I'm worried that it has a bad head gasket causing oil to leak into the cylinders. Any tips or tests I can do would be greatly appreciated. I don't have a lot of money and want this to be a good working machine (I'm not afraid to do all the work myself) Below I have 2 videos that you guys can watch, #1 is my introduction video with my plans of attack for the machine and #2 is me doing some more work to it, I'll have the #3 video posted tonight of the engine oil/filter, fuel filter, and hydraulic filter changes that I did and showing if it made any difference with it burning oil. Keep in mind my glow plugs or (manifold heater) is not working - Hence all the extra white smoke upon a cold start-up Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated as you guys know a lot more about these skidsteers and Diesel engines than I do thanks! Video#1: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v-jRvx3UPH8&t=2s Video#2: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8_HQxWE_BCc&t=1s

OP
OP
N

NoBiffBetter

doesn't it have a radiator. woulnt think a 60 horsepower diesel would be oil cooled.
It has a radiator yes but it's full of oil not coolant even the heater core for the cab heat works off engine oil. (German engineering I guess). They made lots of these engines that were oil cooled some were air cooled and some were water cooled all the same exact engine for the most part If anyone has any advise it would be very helpful and I'll keep you posted tonight after I do the engine oil and filter change

OP
OP
N

NoBiffBetter

It has a radiator yes but it's full of oil not coolant even the heater core for the cab heat works off engine oil. (German engineering I guess). They made lots of these engines that were oil cooled some were air cooled and some were water cooled all the same exact engine for the most part If anyone has any advise it would be very helpful and I'll keep you posted tonight after I do the engine oil and filter change
Ok guys so an update I changed the engine oil and filter tonight but by the time I got done it was too dark to tell how bad it was still smoking if at all but I did stand behind the machine and for the first time since Iv Owned it I didn't smell a super toxic strong smell of burning oil, it actually smelt like a diesel for a change lol.. I added a can of that restorer stuff to it as well with fresh rotella 15w-40, I hope this helps as I don't know when the last oil change was and knew it had trans fluid mixed in for quite some time so I'm very happy to finally have fresh oil and the correct oil inside of the engine. Tommarrow when I get home from work I will run it again and work with it some and report back to you guys if it's still smoking/burning and we can go from there thanks