New owner - should I clean this?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

adam.schaible

Hello,

New owner here. I bought a rental unit. Everything seems to be pretty good with it but it's really dirty. I lifted the cab and noticed that the transmission (probably a better name for it) is really dirty. I'm not sure what it's coated with, but I'm wondering if I should clean it - and if so, how should I do it?

It wouldn't let me upload an image (not sure if I just couldn't figure it out) but here's a link to the photo:

Thanks in advance!
-Adam

cdmccul

Welcome aboard!

I'd clean it. What model is it? There may be drains to open before starting to get it wet with the hose.

OP
OP
adam.schaible

adam.schaible

Thank you for the advice and the welcome!

It's a T450. It does have drains in the front, but there are a lot of electrical wires in the area and I wasn't sure if it would be safe to pressure wash. Is there a specific type of spray that would be best - that I could gently rinse off with a harden hose? I'm just unfamiliar with what might be extremely sensitive to water or if specific degreasers should be avoided.

cdmccul

Wait for someone else to chime in, but I guess I'd just avoid direct spray at the connectors, etc.

I also would think any forming engine degreaser should do a good job of cleaning without harm, then a good water rinse.

But I don't know those machines hands on.

brdgbldr

Thank you for the advice and the welcome!

It's a T450. It does have drains in the front, but there are a lot of electrical wires in the area and I wasn't sure if it would be safe to pressure wash. Is there a specific type of spray that would be best - that I could gently rinse off with a harden hose? I'm just unfamiliar with what might be extremely sensitive to water or if specific degreasers should be avoided.
There will also be drain holes in the back. Make sure all are clear and clean out any large debris before getting wet.

Avoid pressure washing unless you can be very careful not to hit any seals or wire connections. A degreaser and a garden hose to rinse works best.

Last edited:

mekabajo

As previously said, make sure all the drain holes are open. Spray with Simply Green Aircraft and Precision Cleaner. After waiting 15 minutes or so, wash with garden hose. Electrical connections have a water resistant seal so you don't have to cover them. Avoid direct water on fuses. Blow off excess water with garden leaf blower. No need to be spotless, as it will get dirty again with use. Cleaning the bay will allow you to detect fluid leaks easier.

Last edited:

TonyCT322

You can use a shop vac to suck out as much debris as possible. Even as crammed full as the engine bay is, you can get a lot out that way. Even using a leaf blower can remove a lot. Just wear safety glasses. You will have a lot blowing back at you. There are so many ways for dirt and debris to enter. As noted, it will be dirty again if you are using it. I try to do mine as part of regular maintenance every spring and fall. Enjoy!

Jyuma1

Actually, it doesn't look that bad to me. I'd lubricate all those parts that need lubrication and that's it. These machines are intended to work in dirt and even at times, mud. Keeping them "clean" can become a full-time job if we get all OCD about it.

I too bought a rental years ago and it was just as dirty as yours if not worse. It's 30 years later and my loader looks like crap but runs and does its work just fine, dirt and all.

Good luck.