New machines with emission controls issues?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

oakiemac

Looking to get a new skid steer and need a large one at 90-100hp. All the newer machines have the new tier 4 emissions stuff which someone told me to avoid. But if I get an older machine they have their problems due to age and use. Has anyone had any issues with the emission stuff? Whats the general consensus on these newer skid steers-avoid altogether or is the problem issue over played? Thanks for any input

Tazza

Staff member
I have no personal experience with them, but the engines that have blown that i have heard about were stupidly expensive to replace. Just the fuel injection side was about 8k? You can buy a running motor for 1-2k
The scariest part i see is replacement parts, being a common rail fuel system, you'll have a high pressure pump, electronic enjectors, turbo, then an ECU to run it all. I don't know if it's a stand alone system that is contained on the motor, or if the skid steer does these controls.
Older machines can have issues, but depending on what you want from it, it may be ideal.
Pesonally i avoid hand/pilot controls. Steering levers for back and forth, feet for lift/tilt, thumb switches for aux hydraulics.
What are you planning on lifting? 90-100HP is a really big machine, my S250 i think is rated for 2500lbs, it's 70-80hp, my S150 is about 46hp and is rated for 1500lbs i think,

OP
OP
O

oakiemac

I have no personal experience with them, but the engines that have blown that i have heard about were stupidly expensive to replace. Just the fuel injection side was about 8k? You can buy a running motor for 1-2k
The scariest part i see is replacement parts, being a common rail fuel system, you'll have a high pressure pump, electronic enjectors, turbo, then an ECU to run it all. I don't know if it's a stand alone system that is contained on the motor, or if the skid steer does these controls.
Older machines can have issues, but depending on what you want from it, it may be ideal.
Pesonally i avoid hand/pilot controls. Steering levers for back and forth, feet for lift/tilt, thumb switches for aux hydraulics.
What are you planning on lifting? 90-100HP is a really big machine, my S250 i think is rated for 2500lbs, it's 70-80hp, my S150 is about 46hp and is rated for 1500lbs i think,
I need to lift 3500=4000lbs I run a sawmill so only use it short periods of time to load/move logs

Tazza

Staff member
I need to lift 3500=4000lbs I run a sawmill so only use it short periods of time to load/move logs
Well that sure makes sense, you will need a big machine for that. Those must be some large logs you cut, i have seen videos on youtube of people with saw mills, some are really impressive.
I don't know the full range of machines out there, there was a 9 series in the bobcat range that would lift that sort of weight, but they are quite rare and parts are expensive. Not sure if they have built a modern version of it or not.
I believe my S250 is rated for 2,500 lbs but can lift more. I don't know the numbers that the machine will tip at, that you can use to size what size machine will do the job you intend it to do.
I know i picked up a 1,200kg welder with ease using my S250, it didn't feel light on it's feet either, so i feel it still have a fair bit more in it'a abilities. A machine that size may do what you want it to do.

flyerdan

Well that sure makes sense, you will need a big machine for that. Those must be some large logs you cut, i have seen videos on youtube of people with saw mills, some are really impressive.
I don't know the full range of machines out there, there was a 9 series in the bobcat range that would lift that sort of weight, but they are quite rare and parts are expensive. Not sure if they have built a modern version of it or not.
I believe my S250 is rated for 2,500 lbs but can lift more. I don't know the numbers that the machine will tip at, that you can use to size what size machine will do the job you intend it to do.
I know i picked up a 1,200kg welder with ease using my S250, it didn't feel light on it's feet either, so i feel it still have a fair bit more in it'a abilities. A machine that size may do what you want it to do.
Is your site firm enough to use a forklift? That might be a better option, it can handle the logs at one end and the stickered units of lumber at the other. You can probably get a dual wheel 6000 pound Hyster and an older 743 both for less than a new machine, have the moving and cleanup covered.
Having both is really the best of both worlds, you can have extended forks and a man basket for aerial work and the skidsteer can dig and move piles of stuff and not get stuck where a fork would.

OP
OP
O

oakiemac

Is your site firm enough to use a forklift? That might be a better option, it can handle the logs at one end and the stickered units of lumber at the other. You can probably get a dual wheel 6000 pound Hyster and an older 743 both for less than a new machine, have the moving and cleanup covered.
Having both is really the best of both worlds, you can have extended forks and a man basket for aerial work and the skidsteer can dig and move piles of stuff and not get stuck where a fork would.
flyerdan, I already have a 6000lb Hyster forklift and a bobcat 873 but the forklift. This setup has worked for years but the last 3 years or so we have gotten huge amounts of rain and I cant get the forklift to the mill anymore without getting stuck. The 873 will pick up most logs but I've gotten into cutting large live edge slabs and the larger logs it wont pick up. So I'm looking for a bigger machine, one that can pick up 3500lbs to 4000lbs.