New Holland ls170 turbo working?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

topfli8979

Forgive my ignorance guys but what is the little linkage on turbo,, and what does it do? It never moves through the throttle advance. I can move it back and forth by hand. Trying to figure out how to post a picture.

OP
OP
T

topfli8979

Ok. Figured out its the wastegate. But does not move at all why engine is running at any throttle position.

Tazza

Staff member
Ok. Figured out its the wastegate. But does not move at all why engine is running at any throttle position.
I don't know a lot about turbos, but try getting someone to rev it up then back it off, the waste gate should open when backing it off i thought. As the turbo has spooled up at the higher RPM, when you back upp quickly, you still have all that air being produced, you need to bleed it off, so the waste gate should upen up, or so i thought.
As i said, i don't know a lot about turbo setups, only what i have seen on youtube.My car doesn't go PSST between gear changes :)

jneidig

I don't know a lot about turbos, but try getting someone to rev it up then back it off, the waste gate should open when backing it off i thought. As the turbo has spooled up at the higher RPM, when you back upp quickly, you still have all that air being produced, you need to bleed it off, so the waste gate should upen up, or so i thought.
As i said, i don't know a lot about turbo setups, only what i have seen on youtube.My car doesn't go PSST between gear changes :)
The only time the wastegate linkage will move is when the boost pressure reaches the wastegate actuator opening or "crack" pressure. When the gate is opened exhaust is allowed to bypass the turbine wheel on the turbo there by slowing the turbo down and controlling the boost it creates. You won't be able to create enough boost to move the wastegate without loading the engine. One of the common problems with wastegates is seizing of the main shaft and you stated that you can move it by hand which is a good thing. It would be a good idea to make sure the gate is closing fully and also apply pressure to the inlet of the actuator to make sure it is functional.