Need info to help combat hydraulic leak on BC530

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

ryork

I have a 1979 BC530 and many leaks. Loses about 1 1/2 gallons using it around the house about 7 or 8 hours. I repaired one of the lift arms and cured that leak. Under the seat there is what I think is a control thing (pardon the hitech description). The problem or at least what I think is the problem is the large hex head on top of the control seems to be very tight, but I can still move the part that the three hoses are connected to, not side to side, but swivel around. It is leaking, or seems to be where this unpainted part connects to the blue part. Is it normal for it to be loose enough to move? Am I missing a different way to secure this unpainted part to the blue part or is it just dependant on an O ring to seal it? There should be a picture with this post.

http://www.virtualbiker.com/picture.jpg
Thanks

OP
OP
R

ryork

After looking at some pics on the internet this is the valve that sits on top of the vane pump, however I still do not know if it should be loose or not. Doesn't seem to me like it should be loose. My repair manual does not say anything about it. I ordered a parts manual to give me an idea about what some of these parts are and the proper assembly sequence. I think I will need it before I get the 530 leak free.

OP
OP
R

ryork

After looking at some pics on the internet this is the valve that sits on top of the vane pump, however I still do not know if it should be loose or not. Doesn't seem to me like it should be loose. My repair manual does not say anything about it. I ordered a parts manual to give me an idea about what some of these parts are and the proper assembly sequence. I think I will need it before I get the 530 leak free.
More reading..it is the port block that is loose. I think! The manual shows to remove the hex nut and there will be a long screw inside..you remove it to disassemble, but it does not mention how tight it should be on reassembly..so I am about where I was excpt I know the names of the parts..getting smarter..just not smart enough yet.

Tazza

Staff member
More reading..it is the port block that is loose. I think! The manual shows to remove the hex nut and there will be a long screw inside..you remove it to disassemble, but it does not mention how tight it should be on reassembly..so I am about where I was excpt I know the names of the parts..getting smarter..just not smart enough yet.
I think it will be called a port block.
It should not move! I don't know how tight the bolt should be but tight enough so it doesn't move or leak. I'd remove the bolt and see what O rings you need to re-seal it. You will loose pretty much all your hydraulic oil though as i believe its connected to your oil reserve tank. Being such an old machine the seals will be hard and when loose oil will just leak past.

OP
OP
R

ryork

I think it will be called a port block.
It should not move! I don't know how tight the bolt should be but tight enough so it doesn't move or leak. I'd remove the bolt and see what O rings you need to re-seal it. You will loose pretty much all your hydraulic oil though as i believe its connected to your oil reserve tank. Being such an old machine the seals will be hard and when loose oil will just leak past.
Thanks again Tazza, that's twice now that you have answered my questions..itg's handy as having a mechanic living next door..
I didn't think it seemed right being loose, but if I don't know it's better to ask. I've made more than one part useless by thinking I knew what I was doing.

Thanks,

Tazza

Staff member
Thanks again Tazza, that's twice now that you have answered my questions..itg's handy as having a mechanic living next door..
I didn't think it seemed right being loose, but if I don't know it's better to ask. I've made more than one part useless by thinking I knew what I was doing.

Thanks,
Not a problem.
Breaking things as you learn is normal, hopefully you can fix them afterwards though. I'm really good at breaking off bolts!