Need help deciding what bucket is best

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Joel804

Hey guys. I have a new to me skidsteer. I have a flat and tooth bucket. I'm thinking about selling 1 of them to get a grapple. Which bucket would be best to keep is the question and why.

mrbb

deciding on a bucket, first question to ask yourself is what do you a bucket the most for?

since a tooth bucket is best for digging and scrapping up the ground
if you do that most, then that is what to keep

if you mostly use a smooth bucket for smoothing things and moving fill, then>??
BUT you can always ADD a bolt on tooth bar, making the smooth edge intact and if needed, add the tooth bar when needed,

so, if your willing to BUY a tooth bar for the smooth bucket, you can then have two buckets in one,

SO< IMO< the smooth bucket would be what I would keep, and I would sell the other one and use some of the $$ to but a bolt on tooth bar

like one of these

Gearclash

There is no one bucket that works well for everything. Smooth edge dirt bucket with a bolt in tooth bar and a removable back extension would be the most versatile.

haymaker

On a larger machine the smooth bucket and tooth bar is a great solution.
I discovered on my 543B I had a tendency to try to make the machine do things it just was not big enough to do. I learned the hard way I needed a bigger machine if I needed digging projects done quickly.
That's why I know have an S510 and my 543B, and often wish the S510 was a bit bigger.
I have learned, in my old age not to be in a big hurry and it save a great deal of wear and tear on the machines and my nerves.

Topper1

I had a similar problem trying to decide.
In the end. Kept my big tooth & smooth buckets, and bought a grapple as well.
Then built a 3 tier bucket/forks carrier for my trailer to make transport easy.
They all have an intended purpose and a use. I just couldn't part with any of them, since i regularly switch buckets for the task at hand. Sometimes switch multiple times per day.

hoosiermark

Consider buying a thumb for one of the buckets. It is almost like having a grapple. I personally think it gives you the best of both worlds. A bucket when thumb is open and a grapple when operated.