Need Help- bobcat s150 suddenly shut off- brakes on-

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

clydesdale

The battery was weak. It started. I didn't let it warm up. Took it out of the garage and went about 100 ft and it suddenly died, brakes on. The computer will not light. Yet, if I hit the run button, I hear a click in the seat and 40-45 seconds later, the headlights turn on. If I hit the stop button, the lights go off. The inside computer and dash lights will not turn on. The battery is old and suspect. Also, there are two wires on the door connections that were left bare and they did spark a tad the other day. Like an idiot, I did not tape them up. I have used the machine for 2 years, as a homeowner, and have not had to do a thing with these wires. So, I am wondering if battery is shot or if I blew a fuse. I checked the fuse panel that is below the seat and they all seem fine. I am going to get a new battery. How does the battery come out? It seems like it won't want to come out easily. Anything need to be removed first usually? Is there some sort of safety that has been triggered that is causing the above symptoms. I am going to get a battery now. Big snow coming. I kind of need this thing to work. Thanks for your help.

OP
OP
C

clydesdale

Well, I have a new battery, but that is it. No power to the computer. The fuse for the computer is fine. Any idea what else may be stopping the computer from getting power. I can actually hit the run button and then hit the start and the motor will now run for two seconds. But, there are no computer lights and the motor shuts right off. Thoughts?

farmshop

Well, I have a new battery, but that is it. No power to the computer. The fuse for the computer is fine. Any idea what else may be stopping the computer from getting power. I can actually hit the run button and then hit the start and the motor will now run for two seconds. But, there are no computer lights and the motor shuts right off. Thoughts?
I would check all the fuses you can find. Also check the cables some bobcats had a big fuse in the cable

OP
OP
C

clydesdale

I would check all the fuses you can find. Also check the cables some bobcats had a big fuse in the cable
I imagine it is not the big fuse or relay that is in the wiring harness in the engine compartment, the master fuse. The HVAC works and I can start the motor and it will run for 2 seconds. The left and right side panels are not lighting up. Especially the left side computer panel. Are there any free wiring diagrams or do you have to buy these things? I see one on Amazon for $78. A few months ago, the left side computer said "door" and the machine was dead. I jiggled wires and connected and reconnected the door wiring harness and eventually I could use the machine. I know this has to be electrical but I am not sure where to go if the fuses all seem fine. Right now I am stuck because the fuses all seem good. How would I test the left side computer panel?

OP
OP
C

clydesdale

I imagine it is not the big fuse or relay that is in the wiring harness in the engine compartment, the master fuse. The HVAC works and I can start the motor and it will run for 2 seconds. The left and right side panels are not lighting up. Especially the left side computer panel. Are there any free wiring diagrams or do you have to buy these things? I see one on Amazon for $78. A few months ago, the left side computer said "door" and the machine was dead. I jiggled wires and connected and reconnected the door wiring harness and eventually I could use the machine. I know this has to be electrical but I am not sure where to go if the fuses all seem fine. Right now I am stuck because the fuses all seem good. How would I test the left side computer panel?
Anybody know where the ground straps are?

reaperman

Was everything working properly when you first took it out of the garage, lights to the display panel? Normally when a error is detected and the machine is about to shut down the computer will beep a few times letting you know its going to shut the machine off. Did it beep? Perhaps the fuel shutoff solenoid is one of your issues where the it will not keep the mechanism is the "hold" position. When you first start a machine there is a wire that puts the fuel shutoff in the "pull" position for a couple of seconds to allow fuel to the engine. Then a couple seconds later, another function puts the fuel shutoff in the "hold" position to allow fuel to the engine until the machine is turned off. You can manually override the shutoff by pulling and tying it to the open position allowing the free flow of fuel. The shutoff is staring you right in the face when you open the back door. Do a youtube search if your not familiar. This may not be the answer to all of your problems, but sometimes Murphy strikes with two different issues giving us a giant headache. This is a easy step to check off, but it would explain why your machine is suddenly shutting off after only a couple of seconds.

OP
OP
C

clydesdale

Was everything working properly when you first took it out of the garage, lights to the display panel? Normally when a error is detected and the machine is about to shut down the computer will beep a few times letting you know its going to shut the machine off. Did it beep? Perhaps the fuel shutoff solenoid is one of your issues where the it will not keep the mechanism is the "hold" position. When you first start a machine there is a wire that puts the fuel shutoff in the "pull" position for a couple of seconds to allow fuel to the engine. Then a couple seconds later, another function puts the fuel shutoff in the "hold" position to allow fuel to the engine until the machine is turned off. You can manually override the shutoff by pulling and tying it to the open position allowing the free flow of fuel. The shutoff is staring you right in the face when you open the back door. Do a youtube search if your not familiar. This may not be the answer to all of your problems, but sometimes Murphy strikes with two different issues giving us a giant headache. This is a easy step to check off, but it would explain why your machine is suddenly shutting off after only a couple of seconds.
We got it working fine!! Just in time for snow. So, here is what happened. The 5 amp fuse for "switched" was blown. I purchased a service manual for $7 in PDF form. The dealer wanted $161. My brother is great at reading schematics and he tracked down the short using the wiring diagrams. We had removed the computer and noticed that the computer was not get power when the "run" key was pressed. I had already checked the "computer" fuse and I never thought the little 5amp fuse was the issue. I didn't even know what "switched" meant on the fuse panel. The fuse was likely blown due to bare wires making contact on a removed door switch from previous owner. If anyone needs manuals WImanuals can be recommended for sure. As my brother said, "well worth the $7" . I now have a 802 page service manual. Thanks for all the suggestions.

bobbie-g

We got it working fine!! Just in time for snow. So, here is what happened. The 5 amp fuse for "switched" was blown. I purchased a service manual for $7 in PDF form. The dealer wanted $161. My brother is great at reading schematics and he tracked down the short using the wiring diagrams. We had removed the computer and noticed that the computer was not get power when the "run" key was pressed. I had already checked the "computer" fuse and I never thought the little 5amp fuse was the issue. I didn't even know what "switched" meant on the fuse panel. The fuse was likely blown due to bare wires making contact on a removed door switch from previous owner. If anyone needs manuals WImanuals can be recommended for sure. As my brother said, "well worth the $7" . I now have a 802 page service manual. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Hey, many thanks for posting the resolution of the issue. This helps everyone immensely! Far too many folks on this forum take advantage of the great help and advice here, but somehow never seem to get around to posting the solution that finally worked. Tnx again! :) ---Bobbie-G