Mustang will not start.

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

dmiles

I'm hoping to get some help here. I have a 1994 Mustang 940. I recently replaced the starter, battery, alternator, and positive cable from the battery to the starter. It fired up and worked fine. I ran it for a few hours. Then when I went back to use it again.....nothing. Maybe a few crackles or what sounded like sparks but that was it. Then it went dead. Checked the battery and it was at 12.9. I tried jumping it with my truck and still nothing. Once I took the jumper cables off and parked my truck I decided to see if it would start. It did! No idea why. I turned it off and tried to start it again. Nothing. Dead again. I have no clue what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

brdgbldr

I'm hoping to get some help here. I have a 1994 Mustang 940. I recently replaced the starter, battery, alternator, and positive cable from the battery to the starter. It fired up and worked fine. I ran it for a few hours. Then when I went back to use it again.....nothing. Maybe a few crackles or what sounded like sparks but that was it. Then it went dead. Checked the battery and it was at 12.9. I tried jumping it with my truck and still nothing. Once I took the jumper cables off and parked my truck I decided to see if it would start. It did! No idea why. I turned it off and tried to start it again. Nothing. Dead again. I have no clue what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
From your description it sounds like you have a short somewhere. Recheck all of your connections and make sure they are clean and tight, including the grounding points.

Also check that the new cable has good connections on it. I've seen new cables that were not crimped properly.

mrbb

Id be checking your ground wire, sounds like your maybe not getting a good ground
and Id also be checking all your fuses, to see if any might be old, and loose , again causing hit and miss connections

OP
OP
D

dmiles

I rechecked everything you guys said to. All looks good. Now I notice when I turn the key to on the fuel gauge and hour meter only work every once and awhile when I try it? I tested the starter relay and that showed 00.0. Maybe I need a new ignition switch?

cdmccul

Sound like a good chance, yes.

At the signal line to the starter relay you say you have zero volts, or you have zero at the incoming high current supply?

OP
OP
D

dmiles

Not sure. I bought a everstart multimeter yesterday to check the ohms on the relay. It showed 00.0. I read any number under 5 is a good relay. I'm no mechanic, just learning as I go.

Firefighter

The 940 Mustang from factory never had a start relay, if it does now someone wired one in. it only has 1- 30 amp fuse holder up in the dash and are known to have some problemns with age,. which might explain your guage problems
the only other thing it does have 2 neutral switches in the start circut, the other location that has issue is the rops/ engine harness connection under the seat the positive pin can corrode loosing power to dash , just cut each side of the plug and run a jumper wire

OP
OP
D

dmiles

Just checked, there are no fuses in the dash. Not sure what you mean by "2 neutral switches in the start circuit"

foton

I believe he is refering to the neutral switches on the pumps , they have to be in a neutral position so it is not started like in gear would be in a car .

OP
OP
D

dmiles

Ok. Thanks foton. I apologize...I really dont understand when you say neutral switches on the pumps. I'm trying to look it up in the manual now.

cdmccul

Where are you checking that you get "0.00"? There are different circuits to a relay or solenoid, and each one has differing test results.

OP
OP
D

dmiles

Cdmccul I tested the relay on the starter that the positive cable goes to on from battery. I put one prong on that and the other on the ignition tab where the white wire attaches to. Came up 00.0.

Firefighter

That would be the starter solenoid, the only time that you have power at the white wire is during cranking
to rule out the battery , starter, and battery cables, u could jump the wires at the starter with a screw driver or a wire
if it starts right up u have wiring problems . check for voltage at battery terminal on key switch

cdmccul

If it doesn't start, that doesn't rule out that it isn't a bad solenoid.

And you would have 0 across those two points.

OP
OP
D

dmiles

Ok. I just did a bench test on the starter.....had to Google how to do it! Starter works fine, pops out and spins. Battery tested reads 12.9.

mrbb

Ok. I just did a bench test on the starter.....had to Google how to do it! Starter works fine, pops out and spins. Battery tested reads 12.9.
keep in mind that just a volt reading on battery doe NOT mean battery is good, battery has to be tested under a load, to be properly evaluated!
if you do not have a load tester, most all large chain auto parts stores will load test your battery for free if you take it to a store, only takes a few minutes and it will give you a correct reading on if your battery is good or not,
volts alone do not mean good!

OP
OP
D

dmiles

Just got off the skidsteer. Battery reads 12.3. Is that normal? Forgot to mention this but once she fires up and runs I can only shut it down by pulling a choke out by my right knee. If I turn the the key to off it still runs. Maybe something is draining the battery?